CHAPTER 39

"My name is Doctor Marcus. I am the surgeon in charge of Mr. Adam. He was brought into the hospital in a critical condition, but we were able to stabilize his condition." Dr Marcus tells us.

"So, you are saying he is alive?" Fatima asks sounding very hopeful.

"Yes, he is alive, and he is recovering well," Dr Marcus says, finally smiling.

"Allah Akbar, can I see him?" Fatima asks, while crying tears of joy.

Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) he is alive, I have never been so grateful to see Fatima smile as I am right now.  

"Yes, doctor can we see him?" Ismail says, sounding very eager to see Udar.

"Yes, you can, but not all of you at once. Please follow me." Dr Marcus replies.

"Alright doctor," Fatima says. We follow the doctor to the last door on the floor.

"This is his room. I will leave you guys to it, but please take it easy. He needs to rest," Dr Marcus says and walks away.

Fatima is the first to go in; there is a big glass window so we can see inside his room. She steps inside the room. I can tell she is speaking to him, but he is still unconscious, so he does not reply. She also wipes a few tears from her eyes. I don't know if they are tears of joy or pain as he is not looking good. She comes out after a few minutes. Ismail and Austin go in after Fatima. They both come out with the same sad look Fatima had. Emma and I go in after them, and I understand why Fatima had tears in her eyes.

Udar is looking so pale, you could mistake him for a dead person. If not for the fact that his chest keeps moving up and down you wouldn't believe he is alive, even with the heart monitor showing he is alive. I make a little dua, praying for his full recovery before walking out. Outside the room, Fatima is nowhere to be found.

"Where is Fatima?" I ask Ismail and Austin.

"She went to speak to the doctor." Austin replies

"Oh, alright."

"She is coming back." Emma says watching Fatima walk back to us.

"What did the doctor say?" Ismail asks Fatima when she reaches us.

I wonder what Fatima went to ask the doctor. I wait for her to answer Ismail, and if I don't understand I will ask her.

"He said he does not know when he would wake up," Fatima replies sadly.

"Did he say if there is anything we can do to help him wake up?" Ismail asks.

"He said talking to him a lot would help."

"Alright, we will do that." Ismail nods.

Oh, that's why she went to see the doctor. Wow, Udar's condition is more serious than we expected. In Shaa Allah, he would wake up soon. We say our goodbyes to Fatima before we all leave the hospital to go home. Fatima is staying the night over at the hospital. She wants to be there in case he wakes up. Emma and Austin leave together planning to come back tomorrow, or rather, later in the day to check up on Udar. The same goes for Ismail and me.

I walk to the parking lot. I see Ismail get into his car and drive of in a different direction than I will be taking home. Wow. Is this how it's going to be from now on? Ismail taking a different way home from me. I have gotten used to him following me home every time we leave work. I don't like the idea of him not following me home. It just seems unusual, but there is nothing I can do about it. It's his decision if he wants to stay in the house or not. I will have to get used to him not coming back to the same house as me. I get into my car and drive home.