CHAPTER 46

I left Ismail's house an hour ago and I am on my way to Emma's house to visit her with Fatima. I am driving while Fatima has been on her iPad since I picked her up from her house. I don't know what she is doing, but whatever it is, it has her full attention.

"What are you doing? You have been using your iPad since I picked you up," I say, but it takes Fatima minutes before she answers me.

"Oh, are you talking to me?" Fatima finally responds giving me her attention.

"Nooooo, I am talking to someone else I am in the car with," I reply sarcastically.

"Sorry, I have my mind wrapped up with wedding stuff."

"It's fine and why don't you hire a wedding planner?"

"I did, but there are a few things a wedding planner can't do for me."

"Like what?"

"Picking out a cake, the type of flowers to be used, the colors the hall should be decorated with, how many guests I will be expecting and so much more. Umit, the list of things I have to decide before the wedding are so much," Fatima says sounding exhausted with the planning of the wedding.

"Oh, sorry about that, and if there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask me," I tell her.

"I am truly lucky to have you as a best friend," Fatima smiles.  

"You should be,' I say jokingly, "and here we are," I drive into the underground parking lot of Emma's new apartment complex. Emma moved in with Austin after they got back together. 

"Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) and I hope Emma has cooked because I am hungry."

"Is there a time you are not looking for food?" I reply parking the car, grabbing my handbag and stepping out.

"You shouldn't say that because we are the same," Fatima says, also getting out of the car.

"Uhm mm....." I try to say something to that, but there is nothing I can say because it's true. We are the same when it comes to food.

"You know I am right, that's why you can't come up with anything to say back," Fatima chuckles while I smile and shake my head.

We are about to enter the elevator when Fatima realizes she left her bag in the car. She walks back to the car to get it. I don't wait for her and take the elevator up to the 7th floor to Emma's apartment.

I arrive on the 7th floor of the apartment complex and I step out of the elevator. I walk to the last door on the right but when I get there, I find something quite unusual. Emma's door is left ajar. I wonder why she left it open. Maybe someone came and forgot to close it when they walked in.

I step inside but freeze in my tracks. I might have seen people shot to death, but I can never get used to the feeling. Emma's bodyguard that she hired, because Anna has been sending death threats to her, is lying down on the floor, looking dead. What in God's name is going on? Is he dead? Why is he on the floor? Oh Allah, what is going on?

I quickly rush over to him to check his pulse to see if he is alive or dead. I put my fingers to the side of his neck, but I am not getting anything. I place my finger on his wrist but also nothing. Ya Allah, I hope this man is not dead. I don't give up and place my ear to his heart, praying dearly I hear a heartbeat. Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah) I got a faint beat; he is not dead. I am about to call 911 when I hear voices coming from upstairs.

"Anna, you don't have to do this?" A voice says which sounds very similar to Emma's.

"I have to because if I do this, Paul can finally love me, and stop loving you," another voice says which I am guessing is Anna's.