CHAPTER 45

A few days have gone by since Ismail and I had that talk. Ismail might have seemed like he agreed with my decision of staying by his side, but he did not. I can tell he wishes I would stay far away from him as much as possible, but I can't. The love I have for him won't let me. It doesn't help that Ismail has become more caring and protective of me during these past few days. He calls me every day after I leave the office, checking if I have gotten home safely. He also calls during the weekends checking if I am doing fine. These little acts make my heart flutter for him more and more every day.

"As salama alaykum, Eman, Aayan, your favorite uncle is here," Ismail calls out walking through the front door.

Ismail came to the house today to pick up the kids to spend the day with him. They have been missing him and have been asking to see him for the past few weeks. Ismail decided to take them out today.

"Uncle Ismail!" Eman and Aayan yell, running downstairs in their pajamas into Ismail arms that are wide open for a hug.

"How are you guys doing?" Ismail asks releasing them from the hug.

"We are fine, did you come early so you could eat breakfast with us?" Eman asks.

"Yes, I did. Come let's see what aunt Umit is cooking," Ismail says walking towards the kitchen.

"As salamu alaykum," Ismail greets entering the kitchen.

"Wa alaykumu salam. You are here quite early," I respond.

"I wanted to surprise them and join you guys for breakfast."

"You are very welcome to join us. Aayan and Eman go and wash your hands and say your prayers. When you are done, breakfast will almost be ready."

"Alright, aunt," they say walking upstairs to the bathroom.

"So, what are you cooking?" Ismail asks taking a seat on a stool in the kitchen.

"It's a Nigerian breakfast, it is called Yam and egg sauce."

"Hmm it sounds nice, so are you going to make the yam like you always do or in another way?"

"I am making it differently from the usual way you eat it with soup. I am frying the yam today."

"Alright, I can already imagine it been tasty, I can't wait to eat it," he smiles.

I smile back and start preparing our breakfast. Firstly, I blend the tomatoes and red bell peppers with onions. I put a little oil in a pan. I let the oil heat up a bit before pouring in my blended puree. When the puree starts becoming a sauce, I let it fry a bit before adding a few eggs. I also add seasoning. When it's become egg sauce, I set it aside and start preparing the fried yam. I peel the back of the yam, wash it, and slice it into small pieces. I wash it again with water after slicing it before sprinkling salt on it. I put the sliced yam in deep, hot oil to fry. Once it's done frying, I serve it with the egg sauce.

"What do you think? Do you like it?" I ask Ismail while we are eating at the dining table.

"It's nice. I wouldn't mind having it again some time," he says smiling.

"Thank you."

"You are welcome. And Umit, I wanted to ask, are you busy later today?"

"No, why are you asking?"

"I forgot today that I have a package coming in later, could you please receive it for me."

"Sure, what time?"

"2 PM. but please be there before 2 PM."

"Sure, no problem."

"Thank you."