CHAPTER 38

The ambulance arrives a minute later. They rush Udar to the hospital, with Fatima beside him praying for his life.

After they leave, I quickly walk to the driver's seat and start my car. All the way to the hospital I am praying for Udar's life.

We arrive at the hospital at the same time as the ambulance. They quickly rush Udar into an operating room, saying his condition is very critical. Fatima falls on the floor, crying deeply once they take Udar away from her. Abeela and I rush to her side.

"Fatima, please stand up from the floor." Abeela says, lifting her sister from the ground.

"Abeela, Udar is dying and there is nothing I can do to stop it." Fatima sobs.

"In Shaa Allah, he will come out alive." I tell her, crying myself while helping Abeela to lift Fatima of the floor.

"Umit, you need to call Ismail. He needs to know what is happening." Fatima says, sitting down.

Ismail. I don't even know how I am going to break this devastating news to him. Udar is like a brother to him; they practically grew up together. Ismail is going to be devastated when I tell him.

"Yeah, I should," I say checking my jeans pockets for my phone, realizing I left it in the car.

"My phone is in the car, let me go and get it."

I get to my car and pick up my handbag as well as Fatima's bag that is still in my car. It's not smart to leave our handbags in full view in the car. I walk back inside after locking the car, and I call Ismail. It rings a few times before he picks up, and he already sounds worried.

"As salamu alaykum, Umit. How are things going over there? I have been trying Udar's number, but he is not picking up. Is everything fine over there, or did something happen to Fatima or Abeela?" Ismail asks sounding very worried and concerned.

"Wa alaykum salamu Ismail, Fatima and Abeela are fine but...," I start, finding it hard to tell him what has happened to Udar.

"Umit, did something happen? Please tell me if everything is fine over there."

"Ismail, I think you should come to the hospital," I say not knowing how to break the news to him.

"Why? Are you hurt? Did something happen to you?" Ismail asks panicked.

"No, Ismail, I am fine, but Udar was shot," I say finally finding the courage to tell him. He does not say anything for a minute.

"Send the address of the hospital; I will be on my way shortly," Ismail says then hangs up. I quickly text him the address of the hospital while I walk back to join Abeela and Fatima where they are sitting.

A few minutes later, Ismail arrives rushing through the hospital doors.

"Where is he?" Ismail looks devastated and a bit shocked with all that is happening.

"He is in the operating room," Fatima says.

"What happened?" he asks, taking a seat opposite us. I explain to him how it all unfolded in front of me.

"I know you must hate me for putting your best friend in such a condition," Fatima says sadly, still in a state of shock.

"No, I could never hate you. You are not the one that shot my best friend," Ismail says trying to make Fatima feel better.

"Thank you for not hating me," Fatima says looking a little better; like she was scared Ismail was going to hate her for what happened.

"You don't have to thank me, it's fine," he replies while we all wait for any news on Udar's condition.

A few minutes later Udar's aunt and his uncle arrive. They are the only family Udar has in America. His mom and dad live in London. His aunt said his parents are flying in from England and would be here first thing tomorrow morning. They were devastated like we all are by the news of Udar being shot. Fatima's parents also arrived, as did Austin and Emma and Aazim and Waheeda.

We have been waiting for a few hours. Every time someone comes through the doors leading to the operating theatres, we ask how Udar is doing. But all they say is they are doing their best, which is leaving us more on edge.

Ismail has not said much since he arrived. I can tell he is in deep thought, thinking about everything that is happening. I wish there was something I could do to make him feel better. I can only pray hard for Udar to come out alive.

Today is just not my day. First, Ismail is leaving the house, then Fatima almost put her life in danger, and now Udar is fighting for his life. What a day! The only silver lining so far is that we got Abeela back safe and sound, Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah).

It's getting a bit late; four hours have gone by. It is 10 PM and a few people need to go home. Like Aazim and Waheeda, and Udar's aunt and uncle, who have children at home waiting. And Fatima's parents who just got their second daughter back. They need to rest from all the stress surrounding Abeela's kidnapping. They did say we should call if anything happens. Before they all leave, we make 'dua' for Udar's condition, praying he comes out alive.

After they leave, I feel a bit hungry, so Emma and I walk to the cafeteria to find something to eat. We buy a few snacks for everyone. We bought coffee and sandwiches because that was the only thing they had.

"Thank you." Fatima says upon receiving hers.

"You are welcome, and how are you feeling? Is your head hurting you?" I ask checking if her body feels hot. Fatima cried a lot today.

"I'm fine, you don't have to worry."

"Her head is a bit warm," I say, ignoring what she said.

"I have aspirin with me, maybe she should take some," Emma says to me.

"You guys! I am fine. I don't need aspirin," Fatima states.

"You need one, you have to be healthy for yourself and Udar," Emma asserts, handing her the pills.

"Thank you, both of you. I don't know how I would have been able to handle what happened if you guys were not here with me." Fatima says smiling a faint smile.

"That's what friends are for," I say, smiling back at her.

"We are always here if you need us, any day, any time," Emma agrees smiling.

It is midnight and we have been waiting in the hospital for 6 hours. Ismail is about to ask the nurse at the front desk for any news when a doctor walks into the waiting room. We all stand up and walk towards the doctor, wanting to find out if we have lost Udar or not. Since Udar entered the operating room, we have only seen nurses go in and out. The doctor has a neutral facial expression so you can't tell what news he has for us. I don't know if I should be hopeful or not, because I don't know what news he might have for us. He clears his throat before he speaks.