CHAPTER 40

The following week I resume work. Work has not been the same with Emma gone, and Fatima always at the hospital during lunch time. Udar has still not woken up, but Fatima is handling it better than I would have given her credit for. She is more hopeful than ever that Udar will wake up soon, which is good.

Things between Ismail and me are not good. Now that we don't live together, we hardly see each other or even speak to each other. We might work in the same company, but we hardly see each other. I have also gotten a little used to him not being in the house anymore.

I am driving to the hospital to see Udar before going home for the day. I arrive at the hospital, park my car and step inside. I also started driving my Lamborghini again, and now when I drive it I don't always sadly think of Ismail. If I even think of him, I just smile and drive my car because that's life. I won't allow myself to drown in sadness. It's not healthy for anyone. I was so deep in thought I did not realize when I reached Udar's hospital room. I can hear voices inside, maybe Fatima is talking to someone on the phone.

"As salamu alaykum." I greet walking in.

I was right Fatima is talking to someone. But not someone I am expecting, although I am more than happy to see her talking to this person.

"Wa alaykumu salam Umit," Udar says in a hoarse but happy voice.

"You are awake, Allahu Akbar," I grin.

"Yes, I am, Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah)." Udar smiles back.

"Why didn't you call me to tell me?" I accuse Fatima, because I know she would have been full of joy to see him awake and would want to share the news with me.

"He wanted to surprise everyone," Fatima replies.

"Really Udar!" I exclaim.

"Yes, I like this look of shock and surprise you guys have when you come in and see I am already awake," Udar replies.

"Wow, who would have thought. But anyway, I am more than happy you are awake, but why do I get the feeling it has been for a while?" I notice he does not look like he just woke up, but rather like he's been awake a day or so.

"You are right Umit. I actually woke up last night while Fatima was sleeping."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Fatima asks surprised.

"Because you looked so peaceful while sleeping, and I could tell you hardly had any sleep lately, so, I wanted you to rest properly," Udar replies.

"Even from your sick bed, you are still trying to take care of me. What did I do to deserve such an amazing man like you, Udar? I love you." Fatima declares smiling.

"I love you too," Udar answers smiling.

"Umit, could you stay with Udar for a bit? I need to get something from my car." Fatima says turning to me.

"Of course, I can," I say.

"I am not a child; I can take care of myself," Udar grumbles.

"But that's not what your doctor said a few minutes ago. He said you should not stress yourself and rest. That means letting people do things for you," Fatima scolds.

"You were going to get something from your car right," Udar says, trying to make Fatima leave so she won't scold him anymore.

"I will be back in a bit," Fatima says walking out.

"Thank God she left. She has been making me eat this tasteless hospital food," Udar complains.

"I am sure she is only doing that because she cares about you," I chuckle shaking my head.