CHAPTER 34

The following week—which is vacation week—is spent in the best way possible. Aunt Maria kept true to her word and showed us a few wonders of Iceland. We visited the Iceland ice caves. The caves are unique and memorable to visit, the amazing forms and shapes of the ice have a magnificent beauty to it. We visited the Golden circle with places like Gullfoss falls. It is one of the most massive waterfalls I have ever seen, tumbling between two rugged rock faces, releasing a magnificent mass of water. The Silfra, which is an underwater crack in the continental divide, that separates Eurasia and American continental plates. The water is also one of the clearest waters in the world. There are still a lot of places to visit, like viewing the northern lights and many others. But today we are going hiking in the mountains. We are climbing Mt. Esja, it is really a sight to see. It is dominating the Reykjavík City skyline and providing a stunning backdrop to the capital city. We are close to the peak and I am taking a picture of the mountains when something terrifying happens. I was not looking at where I was going so I did not see the rock in front of me, which makes me stumble backwards causing me to fall and start rolling down a cliff. I hear a loud piercing scream that I did not know was coming from me, until it causes everyone to turn and watch me fall to my death.

I am rolling off the cliff when I see a tree branch. I hold on to it for dear life. La ilaha illa-llah, Muhammadur-rasulu-llah (I declare that there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah, and I declare that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah). Ya Allah, I know we must all die, but I do not wish to die in such a painful way, Oh Allah, please save me.

"Umit, Umit, are you alright?" Ismail asks worriedly as his face comes into view. I can tell he is lying down to get this close to me.

"Ismail, please save me. I don't want to die like this," I cry, praying Ismail has a way of pulling me back up quickly because the tree branch won't hold me for long. It is starting to break. I am sure my weight is pulling it down.

"Umit, just hang on. We will pull you up soon," Ismail says and is about to stand up, but I stop him.

"Where are you going? You can't leave me here. Please don't leave me here," I am scared I might fall any minute.

"Umit, I have to get the rope so we can pull you up," Ismail says trying to stand up again.

"No, No, No, don't leav... Ahhhhh" I start screaming when the tree branch breaks. If not for Ismail grabbing me, I would have fallen and would have been dead in seconds.

"Ismail, you see why you can't leave me. Please don't leave me," I beg, so scared I start to hyperventilate.

"Umit, I need you to calm down so we can pull you up. Can you take in a few deep breaths in and out for me?" Ismail is trying his best to sound calm while holding on to me, but I can see he is struggling to hold my weight in his hand.

"Yes, I can," I say, taking deep breaths in and out. But it's not working because the longer I hang here, the more scared I get.

"Umit, do you trust me."

"Yes-ss—I-I do," I say breathing so hard it's hard to form words.

"I need you to release my hand and fall to the ground."

"You-uuu w-want me t-to fal-l to my death?" I ask wide-eyed while trying to calm my breathing so I can speak better. I finally look down, which puts more fear into me.

"No, there is a ledge that is not too far from where we are, just look to your right," Ismail says trying his best with his hold on my hand because I can feel my hands slipping from his.

"Yes, I see it," I say looking to my right, and I notice there is ground not too far from me, but there is still a chance I might fall the other way and die.