12: J E R I C H O [4/4]

You felt like you were almost entirely out of breath, when finally, after several minutes of constant running and avoiding soldiers, Markus caught up with you.
"Markus!" North exclaimed relieved. But you all knew what this meant. The bombs would go off any moment, and without a second thought, all of you began sprinting for your lives, Connor still gripping your hand ever so tightly.
Eventually, you noticed rapid gunfire and hasty footsteps nearing from behind too quick for comfort, and you didn't even look back as two soldiers entered the very same hallway you were running for dear life in.
You could feel the adrenaline rushing through your body as they opened fire, with your heart beating like never before, hearing bullets zoom by left and right, ricocheting from the metal walls, all the while praying to whatever holy being, knowing you could be shot at any given moment.

This is it...
Is this how I'm gonna die?

A sense of hope washed over you upon nearing a big opening in the outer wall of the ship, when suddenly, North let out a pained yelp and dropped to the ground. A bullet hit her, damaging her leg. In an instant, everyone stopped to turn around, Connor positioning himself in front of you protectively, shielding you from the gunfire.
Not a moment to soon, Markus charged at the soldiers, grabbing a rusty scrap of metal from the floor to use as a shield. "Fire at will!" one of them exclaimed, and they began shooting in his direction. As soon as Markus was near North, he threw the piece of metal to her and she shielded herself with it, while he took cover behind her. The soldiers came closer, still firing, before Markus jumped out and attacked one of them, while North fought with the other.
Markus punched his opponent right in the head and managed to disarm him. North overthrew the other one and knocked him unconscious with the metal scrap. After a few more kicks and punches, you flinched as Markus fired a shot at the other soldier, having him lifelessly drop to the ground.
There was no time to think because suddenly, four more soldiers came running around the corner. "Contact! Contact! Hostiles engaged!" they yelled and began firing.
"Over there!" Markus gestured at the hole while supporting North, helping her walk away from the attackers. "Run!" they steadily made their way towards you and ducked from the ever-nearing bullets.
Unexpectedly, Connor pushed you behind Simon and Josh, before pulling out his gun and charging at the group of soldiers, shooting at them.
"Connor!" you yelled after him in shock, fearing for his life.
"Tango, suppressive fire!" they exclaimed as they began rapidly firing at Connor, who picked up the same piece of metal, fending off the bullets coming his way. You carefully peeked over Josh and Simon's shoulders and anxiously watched as Connor skillfully managed to shoot and disarm the first two soldiers, before brawling with the remaining ones. He overpowered them with ease, snatching their weapons and taking them out with very precise shots.
"We need support. Repeat: requesting support." Even more soldiers neared. Connor retreated still aiming at them, and they soon began firing.
"Run, quick! Come on!" Markus yelled and all of you turned towards the opening. Everyone started sprinting, you and Connor in the front with everyone else behind you, so as to protect you from the gunfire coming from the hallway. A gust of cold air hit you as you reached the hole and without hesitating, you jumped.

Your eyes widened and you let out an audible gasp as soon as you realized what was below.

Oh no.