7 : T H E _ B R I D G E

Connor decided to check up on Hank, whom he found at his home; The Lieutenant was just leaving his house with an already half-emptied six-pack of beer when the android got there.
"Jesus..." Hank muttered. "The fuck are you doin' here?" Anderson looked at Connor while walking to his car, seemingly not very pleased about his presence.
"I wanted to inform you that (Y/N) is doing alright. She let me know that she will spend all day resting, as it's her day off."
"Right. Uh... Thanks."
"Lieutenant, if I may ask... Weren't you going to sleep off your hangover?"
It took a while for him to respond. "I... I need to think." Hank paused. "You're not gonna leave me alone, are ya?"
"I wasn't planning on it." Connor responded jokingly, earning himself a pissed off look from Hank. "Ugh. Get in the damn car then..."

The whole ride, Hank blasted Death Metal through the stereo, none of the two saying a word to each other.

Once they arrived at the park by the bridge, Hank left the car without a word, the six-pack in his hands, and proceeded to sit on top of the backrest of a bench

Shortly after, Connor exited the car to join Hank, positioning himself to his left, looking out towards the river.
"Nice view, huh?" Hank mentioned. "I used to come here a lot before..."
"Before what?" Connor wondered.
"Hm?"
"You said... 'I used to come here a lot before'. Before what?"
"Before..." The Lieutenant paused. "Before nothin'..." He looked away.

Connor turned towards Hank. "Can I ask you a personal question, Lieutenant?"
Anderson looked at him, annoyed. "Do all androids ask so many personal questions or is it just you?"
"Why are you so determined to kill yourself? Is (Y/N) aware of those... tendencies?"
Hank took a big sip of his beer. "No... No, she doesn't know... And I'd like to keep it that way..." He paused. "Some things, I just can't forget... Whatever I do, they're always there... Eating away at me... I don't have the guts to pull the trigger... So, I kill myself a little every day..." he looked at Connor. "That's probably difficult for you to understand, huh, Connor? Nothing very rational about it..." he took another sip of beer, and Connor walked a few feet closer to the river.

"We're not making any progress on this investigation..." Connor began. "The deviants have nothing in common." He crossed his arms. "They're all different models, produced at different times, in different places..." The android looked back at Hank.
"Well, there must be some link." The Lieutenant shrugged.
Connor looked at the ground thinking for a moment, before continuing. "What they have in common is this obsession with rA9... It's almost like some kind of... myth. Something they invented that wasn't part of their original program..."
"Androids believing in God..." Hank grumbled. "Fuck, what's this world coming to?" he downed some more of his beer.

"You seem preoccupied, Lieutenant..." Connor turned towards Anderson. "Is it something to do with what happened back at the Eden Club?"
Hank paused. "Those two girls... They just wanted to be together... They really seemed... in love..."
"You seem troubled, Lieutenant." They looked at each other. "I didn't think machines could have such an effect on you..."
"What about you Connor?" Hank emptied the rest of his bottle and got up, walking towards the android. "You look human, you sound human, but what are you really?"
"I'm whatever you want me to be, Lieutenant." Connor stated. "You partner, your buddy to drink with, or just a machine... Designed to accomplish a task."

You could've shot those two girls, but you didn't." Hank stepped closer to the android. "Why didn't you shoot, Connor?" he asked him, shoving him by the shoulder. "Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?"

 "Hm? Some scruples suddenly enter into your program?"

"No... I just decided not to shoot... That's all..."

Suddenly, Hank pulled his revolver, pointing it directly at Connor, who didn't even flinch.

"But are you afraid to die, Connor?"

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be

"I would certainly find it regrettable to be... interrupted... before I can finish this investigation."

"What will happen if I pull this trigger? Hm? Nothing? Oblivion?"

"Nothing... There would be nothing..."

For a moment it looked like Hank was about to shoot, but he ended up lowering his gun. He walked back to the bench and grabbed another beer, the last of the pack.

"Where are you going?"

"To get drunker. I need to think." The Lieutenant walked towards his car while drinking his beer, before turning around. "I see the way she looks at you."

"What do you mean?" Connor tilted his head.

"(Y/N), she... Well... She's always been kinda... keen on androids, but..." he paused and let out a sigh. "Never mind... She's a good kid, so... if you ever hurt her in any way..." Anderson looked at him. "You're in for something." Hank opened his car door and paused again. "Do me a favor and check up on her tomorrow." he didn't even give Connor time to respond as he got in the car and drove off, leaving the android behind, who furrowed his brows in confusion.