8 : C O N F L I C T E D [3/3]

You were so eager to eat; you didn't even notice Connor studying you the whole time...
After finishing your plate and putting down the cutlery, you let yourself fall backwards into the couch and patted your stomach while letting out a satisfied sigh.
"That was really good. Thanks again." You looked over at the android and smiled.
Immediately, you were somewhat taken aback as you met the android's unexpectedly intense gaze.
He blinked for a short moment. "It's no problem."
"Uh... Have you been staring at me or something?" you asked, raising an eyebrow.
"I apologize. I didn't mean to."
"Oh, uhm... It's alright..."

You had hoped for a more detailed explanation as to why, but decided not to question him any further, seeing as you already had more than enough on your mind, and assumed he was just scanning you yet again.
You looked at the TV for a moment, which was showing a commercial break, and turned your attention back to the android.
"So... Now what...?"
"It's up to you." Connor responded, before pausing and looking away for a second. "Would you prefer it if I left?"
"I... I don't know..." you looked away. "Well... To be honest, I haven't had any company in quite a while, so I guess it's kinda nice to have someone around." You looked back up at him, smiling weakly.
"What about Hank?" the android tilted his head.
"As much as I'd like to, I barely get to hang out with him... Mostly because of his drinking habits... We occasionally hang out at bars or take our dogs on play dates, but not very often..." There was just a hint of sadness in your voice.
"I understand, I'm sorry to hear that... If you don't mind me asking, do you not have any... friends?"
"Oh, uh... I work so much, I barely have any time for that kind of stuff... I already feel pretty bad leaving my dog at home alone all day, even though s/he's probably used to it by now." You looked at it and gave it some pats.
"And I do get along with most of my co-workers, but not enough to have me interested in hanging out with them outside of work."
"I see... From what I've gathered at our investigation at the Eden Club, Detective Reed has taken an interest in you, is that correct?"
"Ugh..." you uttered, with a facial expression that could be compared with one of slight disgust. "I don't know if I'd call it that... I was wondering if he might ask me just to annoy me... And I can't stand him, I wouldn't go out with him even in a million years, or for a million dollars."
"I suppose that's understandable. He is quite unpleasant from what I've experienced."
You chuckled at the android's response. "Hah, what else is new? He's like that to pretty much everyone. Oh, and he really hates androids, just in case you didn't know that already."
"Yes, I've noticed." Connor stated while smiling slightly. "Is there anything you'd like to know about me?"
"Hmm..." you thought for a moment, bringing a hand to your chin.
"I can't help but wonder..." you gulped. "Uh..." Connor looked at you with his head slightly tilted, curious at what you might ask him.
"Is there a reason you're being so nice to me? I mean, you're taking care of me even though you barely know me and all..."
"Well..." he began. "I would say that maintaining a good and healthy relationship with colleagues can be beneficial to the task, making it possible to achieve faster and better results."
"I see..."
"That, and... You seem quite likeable. Lieutenant Anderson appears to be more... problematic, if you don't mind me saying."
"O-oh... T-thanks..." you stuttered in response to his unexpected statement, while feeling your face heat up in an instant. "Yeah, Hank can be a piece of work... But once you do get to know him, you can see that he's just tough on the outside, and soft on the inside." You smiled up at the android.
"I'd like to return the question."
"Huh...?"
"About your question; why are you so nice to me? All humans I've met so far have treated me with nothing but contempt, disrespect, or outright hatred."
"Sorry to hear that...Well... My parents, especially my dad, raised me to be kind to all creatures and to try my best not to be judgemental." You shrugged lightly. "So that's what I'm doing."
"Even though androids aren't creatures made of flesh? Non-human?"
"Hmm, you're still made of something, right? And you're still human enough to me. Actually, sometimes, some androids appear more human than some actual humans, come to think of it that way..."
"I understand. Your parents seem to have raised you well."
"Thanks, Connor." You smiled even brighter now, feeling your heart pound inside your chest.

The two of you continued talking like this for a while. At some point Connor got up to close the sliding door after noticing you started to freeze. He would make sure you'd have enough to drink and even helped you get up when you had to excuse yourself. When returning, he was still sitting on the couch, looking at you as you entered the room, smiling softly. You thought your heart would burst out of your chest at any moment...
You made yourself comfortable on the couch one more, eager to continue your conversation.
Connor would ask you questions, and so would you. He made you smile ever so brightly.

Maybe he's not as much of a machine as he makes himself appear...
Maybe I was wrong...
Maybe he is...?

... Oh, fuck it.

And with that final thought, you decided to just let yourself fall. And boy, did you fall hard...

Connor and you managed to keep the conversation going for several hours, before you felt your eyelids becoming heavy. You were trying your hardest to stay awake since you thoroughly enjoyed talking to him, but it was no use, and you ended up drifting off into a peaceful, happy sleep.

You jolted awake and looked around. It was long dark out and your dog was curled up next to you. And Connor... was nowhere to be seen.

Shit... I can't believe I fell asleep on him...

Just as you were about to get up, you noticed a note on the coffee table and grabbed it.

Keep resting. I prepared some dinner.
I will see you at the DPD.
Connor

It was the neatest handwriting you had ever seen, just what you'd expect from an android.
Although somewhat sad that he was gone, you put the note down with a smile. And even though you weren't hungry, you were curious enough to go to the kitchen and took a look around the counters, no food to be seen. Upon taking a look inside the fridge, you discovered a plate full of (F/O/C), neatly covered with some foil, making a huge smile form on your lips. You closed the fridge door with a contented sigh and decided to call it a day and just go to bed.

Once there, you laid awake for a while with your heart beating ever so fast, thinking of today and the lovely conversation you had with your android partner. All misery from earlier thoughts had long disappeared and you ended up finally drifting off to sleep...