3 : T H E _ N E S T [4/4]

You and Connor darted after the deviant, through the hallway and onto the roof. While you were quite athletic, your android partner was still faster than you. You figured you'd take another route to try and intercept the suspect, and separated from him.

You made your way around the roof as fast as you could, and after a few minutes of running and starting to get out of breath, you neared a cornfield and heard someone coming...

Surely enough, it was the suspect.
You quickly pulled out your gun and pointed it at the deviant. "DETROIT POLICE, STOP AT ONCE!" you screamed at it with all your might, but it kept running straight towards you, probably wanting to jump from the ledge behind you.
You fired a shot and to your surprise, the deviant was able to dodge the bullet. It kept running, so you tackled it with all your force instead, but it was much stronger than expected. With one swift movement, it escaped from your grasp, throwing you over the ledge, and running the other way. You let out a scream as you tried holding on to the edge with all your might.

Shortly thereafter, Connor exited the cornfield as well. "Connor!" you yelled for him in despair.
He stopped to look at you, then at the deviant, and back at you; his LED flashing a bright yellow.

He ran towards you, grabbing your hand and pulling you up with ease.

"Fuck! God damn it! We almost got it!" you proclaimed loudly.

"It's my fault." Connor said to you, his LED still blinking yellow. "I should have been faster."

"But... If it weren't for me..." You couldn't finish your sentence, since Hank finally caught up with you, completely out of breath. "Hey, it's alright, (Y/N). We know what it looks like. We'll find it..."

There was silence for a moment, and Hank looked at you, then at Connor, whose LED was still yellow. "Hey, Connor..." Anderson began, the android turning to look at him. "... Nothing." and so he left through the roof exit behind you.

Connor and you looked at each other for a moment.
"Uhm... Connor...?"
"Yes, (Y/N)?"
"Thank you." You smiled at him softly, and Connor blinked.

"... You're welcome."