9 : P U B L I C _ E N E M Y [1/5]

"You have reached your destination. Thank you for traveling with Detroit Taxis. We look forward to seeing you again soon."  the robotic voice sounded as you exited the vehicle in front of the DPD.

While getting ready for work this morning, you realized that your car was still at the department because of using Hank's the previous day, forcing you to pay - not too less - for the automated service.
You took a deep breath before climbing the stairs to the building, and just like every morning, you were greeted by the android and some officers at the reception upon entering. "Good morning, Detective (Y/N)."
"Morning..." you replied groggily and with a weak smile, before passing through the security gate. Your eyes went around the big room and could see that Fowler was in his office as usual, and as your eyes wandered towards your desk, your heart skipped a beat upon seeing Connor seated at his spot besides yours, looking directly at you. Of course, Hank was nowhere to be seen. You smiled brightly at the android and gave him a small wave. He responded with the same, smiling lightly, and you made your way over to the break room to quickly grab a coffee.
Once there, you quietly sighed when you saw Gavin, standing by a table.

Ugh, no... Not now...

You silently hoped to whatever holy being that he would leave you alone, as you walked over to the coffee machine. But surely enough, you heard footsteps approaching from behind.
"Why good morning to you, Detective (Y/N)." Gavin greeted, a smug tone in his voice.
You let out a small sigh before responding, your back still turned, operating the machine.
"Morning, Reed."
"What's wrong, got up with the wrong foot or something?"
"I'm just not in the mood to chat right now..." You grabbed the full cup and turned around, wanting to brush past him. Unfortunately, Gavin was standing right in front of you, leaving no room for you to escape.
Although he wasn't that much taller than you, it still appeared as if he was towering over you, smiling down at you almost devilishly.
"Ugh, what the hell, Gav? Get outta my way!"
"Not until you agree to go out with me."
"For Christ's sake, can you not take a hint? For the millionth time, NO." you exclaimed, raising your voice now.
"Oh come on now, there's no need to get all feisty. All I want is for you to grab a drink with me." He tilted his head.
"I don't want to, Reed! Now leave me alone!" you told him angrily.
"Just one drink, come on." He stepped closer to you.
"I swear to god Gavin, if you don't get out of my way -"
"And then what? ... Just, One, Drink. Please. Or coffee. And th-"
"I believe she asked you to step away, Detective Reed."

While a sense of relief overcame you upon sighting Connor, Gavin turned around with a look of contempt on his face.
"Ooh hey, is the plastic prick coming to rescue the damsel in distress?" He scoffed.
Your mouth fell open in shock at his statement, anger filling you almost instantly.
"I'll show you damsel in distress, asshole!" you exclaimed loudly, causing Reed to turn back towards you quickly, looking surprised. Before he could say anything, you swung your arm, hitting him square in the face, with force. The loud slap echoed through the room, catching some people's attention. You clenched your fists and tried your hardest to ignore the stinging feeling spreading all across your palm as you looked around. Gavin held his face with one hand and just stared at you speechless, seemingly in pain. You regained your composure, brushed past him with your coffee and glanced at Connor who seemed equally as surprised.
"(Y/N), I-" Without letting him finish, you grabbed your android partner by the arm, dragging him out of the break room and towards your desk, leaving Gavin behind, not passing him a second glance. You felt your face become increasingly hot from the silence filling the big office and numerous pairs of eyes following you.

Once at your desk, you let go of Connor and put down the cup before letting yourself fall into your chair, crossing your arms, trying not to pay attention to the people that started whispering around you.
The android sat down in his chair right next to you, looking at you.
"(Y/N)?"
You caught his gaze, not saying anything, your face still feeling like a million degrees.
"Are you alright?"
"I don't know, Connor, am I?" you snapped at him and looked away again.
"I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do?"
You sighed and paused for a moment. "Don't apologize..." You forced a weak smile. "Sorry for snapping at you... I'm just kind of overwhelmed with this bullshit right now..."
"I understand."
"I don't think there's anything you can do... Why did you come to the break room anyway?"
"I heard you raise your voice at Detective Reed."
"O-oh... Well... Thank you for trying to help. I appreciate it." This time, your smile was a lot more genuine.
"It's no problem. Don't hesitate to inform me, should anything like this happen again."
"I will. Thanks, Connor. I should be able to defend myself in most cases, though."
"Indeed. I could tell." He smiled, glancing towards the break room, making you chuckle.
"Huh, yeah..." you scratched your neck. "Hope Fowler won't get on my ass for this..."
"How is your head, by the way?"
"Oh, it's much better. Headeache's near gone."
"That's pleasant to hear."
You smiled brightly at the android, a warm feeling spreading inside your chest.
You felt genuinely happy for once, and looked forward to what the day may bring...