3 : T H E _ N E S T [1/4]

"What the hell were you thinking?!" Hank yelled at you.
"I was afraid for that child..." You responded quietly, with your head hanging low. "I- I'm sorry, I-"
"You could've fuckin' died, for god's sake! Don't you do shit like that ever again, got it? ... So much for always being careful, damn it..."
"Yes... I know... I'm sorry, I really am... But..."
"But what, huh?" he questioned.
"I'm a cop, Hank..." you looked at him. "It's my duty to protect. Please, understand..."
"And... I- I feel it's my fuckin' duty to protect you, (Y/N)..." Anderson hesitantly admitted through gritted teeth and with a hushed voice, leaning in.
"That's really, really sweet... And I appreciate it... But I'm not a child." You declared.
Hank sighed while pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. "Whatever... Come on then, let's grab a bite to eat, alright? Some damn food might calm us down."
You nodded weakly and got in the car. Connor was just observing the whole time without saying a thing, making you feel bad for him having to witness this discussion.

The whole car ride was spent in silence, while some of Hank's Metal was playing on the stereo at low volume

You were leaning against the window the entire time, looking out, thinking about what happened earlier and replaying the events in your head over and over. You could practically still feel Connor's grip on your arm, and how he held you...

You arrived at your destination and got out of the car, rain pouring from the skies heavily now. Hank and you quickly walked over to Chicken Feed for shelter, while Connor stayed behind.
At the booth, you were greeted by the owner, Gary. "Hank, (Y/N). How' you two doing?"
"Eh, you know, same old shit." Hank replied. Gary glanced at Connor, who was still in the car. "That piece a' plastic with you?"
"Only temporary..." your partner mumbled.

Connor quietly observed from inside the vehicle.

Shortly after, Hank was greeted by a familiar face approaching him; Pedro.
"Hey, hey, hey... Hank! And yo, what's up, (Y/N)? How you two doin'?"
"Could be worse." You responded, and Pedro turned back to Hank. "Hey, listen, I got a shit-hot tip for you. Number five in the third. Lickety-split! That filly's one hell of a chaser... You wanna flutter?"
"Last shit-hot tip you gave me set me back a week's wages, Pedro..."
"Come one, this is different, it's 100% guaranteed. You can't go wrong."
"As if..." you scoffed.
"Alright, I'm in." Hank replied after giving you a sour look.
"Damn straight! Hey, you won't regret this." Pedro said, while walking off.
You just shook your head. You didn't approve of Hank's gambling habits...

In the meantime, Connor has joined you and analyzed the area.
"What is your problem?" Hank asked him. "Look, you don't have to follow us around like a poodle!"
"I'm sorry for my behavior back at the police station. I didn't mean to be unpleasant."
"Oh wow..." Anderson shook his head slightly. "You've even got a brown-nosing apology program!" he chuckled. "Guys at CyberLife thought of everything, huh?"
"Come on Hank, give him a break..." you told your partner, as Gary handed out your food. You thanked him and made your way over to one of the tables.

"Don't leave that thing here!" Gary pointed at the android.
"Huh, not a chance! Follows us everywhere..."
Connor joined you at the table, looking at Hank.
"See?" The Lieutenant grinned, before Connor addressed him.
"This Pedro... He was proposing illegal gambling, am I right?"
"Yeah."
"And you made a bet?"
"Yeah."
Connor looked at you with confusion, and you couldn't help but giggle.

After a short pause, he continued. "Your meals contain 1.4 times the recommended daily intake of calories and twice the cholesterol level. You shouldn't eat that."
"Everybody's gotta die of something..." Hank replied with a shrug, taking a huge bite of his burger.

You let out a chuckle yet again. 

Connor seems so innocent, it's kinda cute...