2 : C H A S E [2/4]

As you were nearing your destination, you and Connor sitting in the back seat with Hank driving, it began raining

"Ugh... Not again." Hank muttered, frustrated.
"Come on now." you said. "Don't be like that, you know how much I like it."
Hank only shook his head.
"Still grumpy about earlier, huh?" you asked jokingly.
"Oh shut it, kid." he paused for a moment "... You know me, I'm always grumpy." he smiled slightly at you through the rearview mirror and you responded with a cheeky grin.

Connor kept this in mind, still trying to learn more about you and Hank.

You cracked the window to enjoy the smell of the rain and the cool breeze, and turned to Connor, eager to try and find out more about him. "So what about you? Do you like the rain, Connor?" you smiled at him.
"... Oh, I-"
"Oh come on, he can't "like" anything now can he?" Hank chuckled, interrupting Connor. "Why'd you ask that piece of plastic something so silly, huh?" he sassed.
You looked away and crossed your arms, blushing ever so slightly. "Ugh... I don't know, Hank... I was just curious. No need to be such a hardass..."
Hank laughed for a moment, until silence quickly filled the car once again.

Shortly after, Connor suddenly but slowly leaned over to you, and lightly bumped your shoulder. "I don't particularly dislike the rain." He said quietly, looking at you. Hank only rolled his eyes. You smiled happily at the android's response, and for some reason, what he did caused your face to heat up even more than before. He actually noticed this, and it confused him, but he chose not to say anything...

It was quiet for the rest of the ride, and you felt relieved as you finally arrived at the scene

It was quiet for the rest of the ride, and you felt relieved as you finally arrived at the scene. You couldn't wait to get out of the car, this strange day having you feel increasingly tense.

You took a deep breath as you exited the car, taking in the moist air, filled with the smell of rain, and feeling the drops on your skin. You immediately felt more relaxed and didn't even mind that neither of you three had an umbrella.

Your colleague, a fellow detective, Ben Collins was already at the scene expecting you.
There was also a witness present and you and Hank walked over to question him, while Connor stayed by the car, looking around.

"We've got officers sweeping the neighborhood, in case anybody saw anything." Ben told Hank.
"Okay. Well, let me know if they turn anything up." He replied.
"... What are you gonna do with that?" Ben glanced at the android standing by Hank's car.
"I've no idea..." was his only response, and he proceeded to walk over to him with you.

You looked at Connor, whose LED was whirling, almost as if he was deep in thought. "It took the first bus that came along..." he began, "and stayed at the end of the line. Its decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear."
"Fear?" you repeated, confused.
"Pff, androids don't feel fear." Anderson scoffed.
"Deviants do. They get overwhelmed by their emotions and make irrational decisions." Connor explained.
"Oh, wow..." you commented, astonished.
Hank nodded in acknowledgment. "Ah well, that still doesn't tell us where it went."
"It didn't have a plan, and it had nowhere to go." Connor continued.
"Well then it couldn't have gone far, right?" you suggested.
"Exactly." the android answered.

Deviants and emotions? What on earth...

The three of you decided to start off the search at an abandoned, run-down building on the other side of the road. It was surrounded by a tall fence, which you and your partners squeezed through at a small opening.
You started looking around and peeked inside an old broken down car that has been sitting there for god knows how long. Nothing.
There was another fence to your left, separating you from the house. Connor walked towards it and started analyzing.
"Hey," he called out to you and Hank. "There's a freshly cut hole in this fence, with traces of Thirium on it. The deviant must've been here."
"Well you two go ahead, I'll stay over here and look around some more." Hank said with his arms crossed. Connor nodded, and crawled through the hole. He lifted the mesh up from the other side for you, so you could get through easier. "Thanks." you smiled at him.
"Hey, uh, (Y/N)? Be careful though, 'kay?" Hank said as you walked towards the squat. "I always am, Hank." You looked back at him. He smiled at you softly, arms still crossed. You were well aware that you meant more to him than he would ever admit, and found it endearing how bad he was at hiding that fact. You two had quite a few interesting experiences during your time as partners.

"Anybody home?" your new partner called out as you approached the house, but there was no response.

After turning the corner of the building, both you Connor noticed a space between some wooden boards nailed to a broken window, and peeked through. And inside was...
"Oh...! An android!" you whispered to Connor. It was standing right in the middle of the room, its right side facing towards you, its LED colored yellow.
"That's... Spooky..." you whispered.
"It's another deviant..." he replied, "Stay close to me."
And so, the two of you made your way to the entrance. "Stay behind me, (Y/N)." Connor whispered and you replied with a single nod.

Cautiously, he turned the knob and opened the door and your heart started racing, unsure of what to expect next.