Chapter 22: Meeting Lancelot

Lucille's P.O.V.~

  "Are you okay?" Arthur asked me, as we rode through a valley. "You seem rather spaced out."

  "I'm fine." I replied, gripping the reins of the horse tighter. "I was just thinking how cruel the world is and how corrupted people can be."

  "That was a monster though." Arthur said. "Monsters aren't like humans."

  I shook my head. "That's what you think. Humans are sometimes the biggest monsters of all."

  "How so?" Arthur asked. "Everyone treats me so nicely."

  "That's because you're royalty." I explained, looking down. "You never felt to be unloved or destroyed mentally by the people you thought would care about you."

  There was an eerie silence as we continued to trot down the valley to a huge lake.

  "This should be the lake that Merlin mentioned." Arthur softly said, finally breaking the silence. "It's beautiful."

   The lake seemed to go on forever and the sunlight was reflecting off of it, giving the image of it shimmering.

   "According to legend, there should be a castle made out of jade under this," Arthur looked into the lake. "And a knight lived there named Lancelot."

   "How do you think we summon the castle?" I asked him. "I rather not take a dive without a spare change of clothing."

  Suddenly, mist began to surround the lake and a knight with a long dark green cape appeared in front of us.

  "Young friends," The suit of armour greeted us. "Are you going to the castle under the lake?"

  "Yes," Arthur said; his face looking solemn.

  "I can tell you how to get there," The knight announced. "But you would have to accept my challenge."

  "What's the challenge?" I asked the knight.

  "You must cut off my head!" It exclaimed. "If I die, I'll tell you how to get in the castle! But if I don't, you'll have to withstand three of my strikes."

  "You sound rather suicidal." I summoned my staff. "Can I do it?"

  The knight shook his head no. "It must be the young man here."

  The knight lifts his axe up and the water seemed to split into two, revealing a long stone staircase.

  Arthur seemed to be deep into thought, so I tried to give him a suggestion.

  "I feel like his deal was rather sketchy." I told him. "Why would he offer to kill himself?"

  "I will accept the challenge," Arthur replied. "I'm okay with getting three strikes if I fail."

  The knight laughs at his response.

  "Good!" He cheered for him. "Take this axe and give it a good swing."

  Arthur takes the axe from the knight and cleanly cuts off the helmet from the body.

  "You were very brave," The now headless knight said. "But you didn't kill me so you owe me three hits."

  "Lord Austin's castle is that way," he points to the North. "I shall see you soon."

  The mist came back once more and engulfed his body, disappearing after a short while.

  "I told you it was a scam," I fumed. "There was no way someone would've made that deal if they know they were gonna die."

   "Are you worried about me or something?" Arthur asked. "I already promised the knight to withstand his hits."