...

Holding Mom's photo in my hands, I run my fingers along her pretty face. I wondered how she would have reacted. Would she be supportive of my relationship if she was alive? Of course she would. She had always taught me that love is the most amazing feeling in the world. I'm sure she would be really excited for me.

I closed my eyes and rested my head back against the pillow. A memory flashed in front of my eyes, a memory that I hold very close to my heart.

"Will they ever grow back?" I asked as she combed her blonde hair in a braid. The thickness of her braid had now contracted to almost half but it still looked beautiful.

"Sure baby. They are just hair. They'll grow back." It was Dad who answered. He appeared out of nowhere and kissed Mom on her lips.

"Eww, grownups are so gross." I thought as I watched them deepen their kiss.

Mom soon realized that they were exchanging germs in front of me so she broke the kiss and hit Dad on his chest, earning a deep chuckle from him.

After he left, I observed the smile that lingered on her lips. She must really love that because she is ready to kiss him on lips. Dad told me that I'll get tons of bacteria if I let any boy kiss me.

"Mom!" I asked in my low voice. "Why do you love Dad?"

"Because he is my soul mate." she said and kissed my forehead. There were dark circles under her eyes and her face was thinner than her older pics.

"He loves you too." I muttered under my lips.

"Yes he does." she smiled and pulled a novel out of her drawer.

I got lost in my thoughts after that. Will somebody ever love me like Dad loves Mom?

She must have noticed my discomfort because she pulled me to her chest and wrapped her arms around me.

"One day, you'll find your true love Ali. A love that will consume you." she said and I chuckled because I have heard this line before in her favourite TV show.

"He will be handsome like Dad?" I asked, grinning at her.

"Of course." she said and patted my head.

"Will he buy me chocolates?" I asked.

"No." Dad's voice erupted from the doorframe. There were huge lines on his forehead. "I can buy my daughter chocolates. We don't need a stupid boy for that."

Mom glared at Dad when he said that but Dad ignored it and sat down beside me.

"Alicia!" I felt a pat on my shoulder that woke me up from my sleepy state.

"Dad." I whispered, unable to meet his eyes after how I misbehaved with him. He pulled the photo frame from my hands and stared at it with adoration and longing in his eyes.

He was hurt, it was visible from him face and I found myself drowning in guilt. He was my everything, my only family left. I shouldn't have acted like that, no matter what the reason was.

"I'm sorry Dad." I muttered, scooting closer to him.

He observed my face for a moment and then wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "It's okay." he said.

"I love him Dad." I whispered, still afraid of his reaction. He just sighed instead of saying anything. I knew it was difficult for him, watching me with a boy. He was always very protective of me and also afraid of seeing me getting hurt.

"He is a really nice guy." I continued.

"I believe you." he replied. "If you are really in love with him then there must be something special about him."

I pulled apart on hearing this. There was a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "So you don't hate him?" I asked with traces of hope in my voice.

"Oh I do." Dad replied. "I hate him for stealing my daughter."

I laughed at his words and hugged him by wrapping my arms around his torso. "Nobody can steal me from you Dad. You are always gonna be first priority."

We stayed like that for five minutes, a comfortable silence prevailed in the room. After that, he broke the hug and patted my head. "Well, if you are really going to date him, I think we need to set some rules."

"Dad." I whined as I dreaded the turn our conversation was taking.

"Rule no. 1, no kissing and stuff in front of me if he doesn't want to end up with a broken neck." he said and I blushed red.

"Rule no. 2, no funny business behind me if he doesn't want to end up with a broken rib." he added.

"Dad.." I hid my face in between my palms because of the embarrassment.

"Rule no. 3, if he ever makes you cry, I will kill him." he warned. "And I am not joking."

Well.

______________________________

So they are official. Congratulations guys.

Qotd: what is your favorite romance book outside wattpad?