twenty

[twenty: What if Genevieve doesn't make it? ]

Peter attacks quickly, but Miraz parries. Miraz starts hitting Peter with his shield. Peter falls, and Miraz runs towards him. Peter blocks and then trips Miraz but they both recover. Peter knocks Miraz' sword out of his hand. They continue fighting as Miraz using his shield. Peter tries to stab Miraz but ultimately fails and before long Miraz knocks Peter's sword out of his hand. Miraz tries to slam his shield into Peter in a moment of weakness, but Peter catches it. Peter twists Miraz' shield behind him. Trying to regain control, Miraz elbows Peter in the face and then pushes him into a pillar. Miraz picks up his sword and swings, but Peter blocks it with his vambraces. Peter stands up and punches Miraz' wounded leg watching as Miraz yells and falls down, dropping his sword.

"Respite! Respite!" Miraz shouts as Peter advances, only for Edmund to look at him worriedly.

"Now's no time for chivalry, Pete!" Edmund shouts and Peter hesitates. 

Miraz holds up his hand preparing for the blow but Peter lowers his arm and starts walking back to his side. After Peter's back is turned, Miraz grabs his sword and runs towards Peter.

"Look out!" Edmund shouts.

"Peter!" Genevieve screams as she pulls on her restraints, wincing as they pull against her skin and reopening the wounds that were already there.

It was time to get out of them.

Peter dodges just in time, grabs the sword, twists it around, and stabs Miraz beneath the arm. Miraz gasps and falls to his knees. Peter, holding Miraz' sword, hesitates again.

"What's the matter, boy? Too cowardly to take a life?" Miraz asks and Peter just glares at him.

"It's not mine to take." Peter looks at Caspian. Caspian steps forward, and Peter hands Miraz' sword to him and Caspian slowly raises the sword.

"Perhaps I was wrong. It seems you have the makings of a good Telmarine king after all." Miraz states before he bows his head ready to be killed by his nephew. Caspian raises the sword, screams, and stabs the ground harshly - surprising Miraz who gasps.

"Not one like you. Keep your life, but I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom." Caspian states as he stands up. Caspian walks away and the Narnians cheer. Sopespian walks over and helps Miraz up, Miraz limping as he holds onto him for his dear life.

"My king." He mutters and Miraz only glares.

"I will deal with you when this is over." Miraz states. Behind Miraz' back, Sopespian pulls out Susan's arrow and looks at Miraz with a wicked grin.

"It is over."

Miraz gasps and falls over, the arrow sticking into his back as Sopespian runs up and takes Miraz' sword.

"Treachery! They shot him! They murdered our king! To arms! A life for a life!" He shouts as he lifts his sword to Genevieve, whose cuffs she'd managed to get off as she struggled in the man's grips - her eyes meeting Edmund's who appeared to be rushing over but she couldn't concentrate in that moment as she glared at Sopespian.

"Oh hell no!" She shouts as she lifts her leg and harshly kicks in the groin, watching as he dropped the sword and toppled over and rushes forward into Edmunds arms.

"Are you okay?" Edmund asks as he embraces his life, lifting her and spinning her around as a smile dorms on her face. 

"Perfectly fine now." She whispered and Edmund only smiled as the two leaned in, their breaths fanning each others faces as their lips were on centimeters apart.

Then Peter coughed. 

"Can we focus?" Peter asked as he looked towards Miraz' body, which lied on the ground with an arrow in his back. Edmund and Genevieve pulled apart, the two chuckling as they looked at Peter who was smirking.

"Sorry Peter!" Genevieve said before she dug her rings into the soil, her armor forming around her in a mix of lilac and gold which enchanted Edmund before she took his hand with a smile. "You ready?"

"Let's do this!" Edmund said as he squeezed his wife's hand back.

+++

"They're gaining on us!" Ron stated towards Lucy, the wind breaking through his hair as the two ventured forward on Destier's back as they hoped to find Aslan. "What if they catch us?"

"They won't catch us Ron. Aslan won't allow it. I won't allow it." Lucy stated as he held his arms around her waist, Ron watching the Telmarine soldiers that were catching up to them - also on horseback.

"Lucy I'm scared." Ron admitted as he tightly squeezed her middle as Destier picked up the speed, fear running through his body as they continued forward.

"It's okay to be scared Ron. You're the bravest boy I've ever met and you can't be brave if you're not scared." 

"What if Genevieve doesn't make it?" Ron asked silently and Lucy wished she could look back to him as he let out a sob, tears streaming down his cheeks.

His crying was  ferocious and noisy. He blinked briny tears from bloodshot eyes, his thick lashes stuck together in clumps as if he'd been swimming. The tears made wet tracks down his face and dripped from his wobbling chin. Clear watery snot streaked from his flaring nostrils down his red mottled skin to his open quivering lips. His hands open and closed, rhythmically clenching around her waist as if there could be some violent solution to his pain if only he could find it - but there wasn't.

"You'll never get anywhere if you go about what-iffing like that." Lucy stated as she took one hand and placed it over his clenched fist, the other still holding onto Destier for dear life. "This is our life; there's no use in asking what if. No one could ever give you the answers. I try, I really do, but it's hard for me to accept that way of thinking. I'm always wondering about the what-ifs, about the road not taken. But I shouldn't. Genevieve is the strongest woman alive and if she were to die today she would die knowing that you'd be okay after it."

"So why did she give herself up? Did she want to leave me." Ron asked and Lucy only sighed as she sent Ron's hand a gentle squeeze before letting go of his hand and digging into her pocket for her handkerchief and passing it back to him.

"I don't think Genevieve would have done what she did if she didn't know that you would be here after she had gone." Lucy admitted as she shot a glance at the boy quickly before looking forward again. "You have to have hope Ronald."

"I do have hope," Ron whispered as he looked behind him at the Telmarine soldiers who were closer than they were. "I have hope that we make it out alive as they've gotten closer."

"Oh no, hold on Ron!" Lucy demanded as she hit Destier's reigns as the horse ran faster, the distance between the two children and the Telmarines expanding for a moment before it shortened and locked again. 

"Keep going Destier." Ron encouraged to the horse before an arrow passed his head, a few centimeters away as his eyes widened in shock. "Lucy watch out."

The girl only just dodged the arrow.