eighteen

[eighteen: tell father I love him]

There was something about the way he smiled; the way butterflies seemed to escape from the pit of his stomach and the way the sun had somehow toppled down from the sky and made a home right there in his heart. He had the kind of smile that made you feel happy to be alive and just that little bit more human. 

That was how Ron felt the moment he saw Edmund.

Upon seeing the smile on his face, Ron quickly ran over and Edmund enveloped the young boy in a hug - chuckling as he did so as she squeezed the young boy a little tighter. Ron himself was an individual who was very wary of who he hugged or showed affection too, which is exactly why he was so surprised when he warmed up to the Pevensies so early on. It took him months to warm up to his own father, Marcus Lee, because he was so worried about whether or not he would treat him like his own biological father did - but after warming up to Genevieve and being told the stories of how he had changed since Ron arrived, he finally knew he had a family.

"Is she okay?" Ron asked as he pulled away from the hug, looking up at Edmund who was still smiling.

"A bit battered and bruised I'll admit but she's alive, that's what matters." Edmund whispered to the boy who let out a sigh of relief as a small smile tugged onto his lips.

"Thank Aslan." Ron muttered before looking at Edmund with a worried look. "Are you okay though?" 

"I will be when we can finally get her home." Edmund stated and Ron only nodded as he tugged on Edmund's hand - enlightening him on the plan before Edmund helped Ron prepare for his task that afternoon.

And all Edmund could think in that moment was how brave that boy really was.

+++

Inside Aslan's How later that day Susan, Ronald and Lucy all climbed up onto Caspian's horse Destier with determined looks on their faces as they hoped to find Aslan who Ron and Lucy had seen days ago. Alongside the horse stood Prince Caspian who was smiling fondly at the oldest Pevensie girl which made the two youngest chuckle - Susan was so oblivious.

"Destier has always served me well. You are in good hands." Caspian assured them, his eyes never leaving Susan.

"Or hooves." Lucy interjected making Ron laugh.

"Good one!" Ron said as he high-fived Lucy making Caspian smile before he turned to look at Susan with a fond look in his eyes.

"Good luck." Caspian whispered as he kept his eyes trained on the Pevensie girl who was smiling down at him.

"Thanks." Susan says before Caspian pulls out her horn and goes to hand it to her.

"Maybe it is time you had this back." He states before Susan just pulls the horn back towards him, their hands brushing for a moment.