thirteen

[thirteen: jam]

[thirteen: jam]

The four children and the beaver quickly run back through the woods in the direction they came, hoping that they could get back in time so they had a head start on the wolves who Genevieve assumed wouldn't be far behind her. As soon as they got back into the dam they burst through the little door at top speed, scaring Mrs. Beaver who held a claw to her chest.

"Hurry! They're after us!" Mr. Beaver told her and Mrs. Beaver dropped the pans in her hand and nodded.

"Oh, right then..." She dashes around grabbing things from various cupboards, confusing the children and making Mr.Beaver sigh.

"What's she doing?" Peter asked and Mr Beaver indicates she's lost it and Mrs. Beaver scoffs at her husband.

"Oh, you'll be thanking me later. It's a long journey and Beaver gets pretty cranky when he's hungry."

"I'm cranky now!" Mr. Beaver exasperates as the sound of wolves can be heard in the distance.

"Do you think we'll need jam?" Susan asks Mrs. Beaver as she helps to pack up necessities for the trip

"Only if the Witch serves toast." Peter jokes before the walls of the dam start to break as the wolves start attack the dam in a fury.

"Oh no!" Genevieve whispers as the Beaver's beckon the children closer.

+++

"Hurry." Maugrim demands as the wolves continue to paw at the dam in order to force it open. The wolves finally get in and the place is empty. One wolf starts pawing at a door, opens it and peers down a tunnel where a faint light can be seen in the distance and the wolfs rush in.

"Badger and me dug this. Comes out right near his place." Mr. Beaver said as they all ran through the tunnel at full speed.

"You told me it led to your mum's!"Mrs. Beaver says and Genevieve wants to laugh but is interrupted when Lucy trips on a root and howling fills the tunnel.

"Lucy!"

"They're in the tunnel." Lucy whispered as Genevieve helps Lucy up and they keep running.

"Quick! This way."

"Hurry!"

"Quick Lucy." Genevieve says as she holds her hand as they run.

"Run!"

"Quick! Quick! Quick!" Mrs. Beaver hurries. They continue to run further but come to dead end at the end of the tunnel.