twenty-one

[twenty-one: Little Baby Pevensie]

Before Genevieve knew it, those nine months of her pregnancy had rolled by and the people of Narnia were all on edge as they waited for the Queen to bare the first royal child Narnia had ever had. The Queen lay in her chambers with her greatest friends around her, the Beaver family and Tumnus especially accompanied her in her room as she waited for the day to come where she would be able to hold her child in her midst. But she was frightened for the day to come as she felt like wasn't as prepared to be a mother as she had originally thought.

Everything and everyone around her told her that all will be okay, but she was extremely anxious. It comes as an electrical storm in her brain that, quite honestly, is painful. It's different from a headache and it feels the same as the intense sorrow she felt months ago, perhaps as a sort of frozen panic with nowhere to go. So though she appeared calm, her mind was really telling her to run and that she wasn't worry and needed more time - even though the whole of Narnia knew the potential she had.

"The days are numbered Gen, how are you feeling?" Mrs. Beaver asked the young Queen who laid sentinel in her bed as she waited for the moment to come.

"I won't lie to you, I'm nervous." Genevieve admitted to the Beaver who placed a clod wet flannel over the girls burning forehead. "You make being a mother look so easy."

"It's never easy my dear and it never will be." Mrs. Beaver admitted as she watched Genevieve's face fall as she took a sharp intake of breath. "But that doesn't mean you won't be a great mother. In fact, you'll likely be an even better mother."

"But I'm going to have to do this all on my own." Genevieve muttered as she wiped a stray tear from her eye. "Edmund doesn't even know the child exists. I can't do this on my own."

"You won't be alone." Mrs. Beaver stated as she took Genevieve's hands in her claws and looked Genevieve in the eye as she spoke. "We will be here every single step of the way and myself and Mr. Beaver will never let you down. I promise you that we will help you raise your child if you need us much like you and Edmund helped us when I first gave birth to the twins. You're not alone deary and you never will be."

It was then Mrs. Beaver wrapped her in a warm swaddle of her chest and arms that Genevieve didn't want to leave. It felt as if when she was in Mrs. Beavers arms all my pain went away - mental and physical, mostly the depressing pain and it was so familiar that she seemed to get lost in her emotions. If she could only stay in her arms forever, safe from the world's harmful people and creatures than Aslan knows she would for this creature who she met fifteen years ago fit perfectly into her life, a part of her she felt was missing that Mrs. Beaver had refilled in a single moment of soothing and Genevieve saw it then the love behind the Beavers eyes as she embraced the young woman as if her own child.