nineteen

[nineteen: I promise you]

An hour ago the sunset had radiated across the cloud, turning it molten orange with bands of pink. Now it was gone and Genevieve sat under the starless, moonless sky waiting for her husband to return. There was no twilight, only blackness as if the stars had been stripped form the skies. She felt claustrophobic, like she was in a cave and an unsettling feeling was set in her stomach. The low sky has become a ceiling of grey black rock above. Only the wind and the first drops of rain let Genevieve know that she was outside as she watched the entrance to the castle.

They're never this late, she thought as she pulled her knees up to her chest and watched the trees leading up to Cair Paravel as she waited patiently for the Pevensies to return. She had a sickening feeling in her stomach, and not the same one she'd been throwing up for weeks. She felt as if something was missing; as if in the last few hours something had dissapeared from her life and it was too far from her reach. 

But she didn't know what it was. 

"Your majesty," Someone started and Genevieve turned her face to the side and saw Mr. Tumnus and sent him a small smile. "Are you alright?"

"Where are they Tumnus?" She asked hesitantly as she patted the spot next to her which he took. "Where is he?"

"Perhaps they just got caught up somewhere. You know how Narnia is."

"I hope so." Genevieve whispered as they both stared ahead together in silence for a moment before Tumnus noticed a solemn tear fall from her cheeks and handed her a handkerchief. 

"Why are you crying?" Tumnus asked in worry as he watched the selfless Queen wipe her eyes.

"What if they don't come back?" She asked as she looked ahead. "What if I never see them again?"

"They'll come back. They always do." Tumnus said and she nodded, trying to believe his words.

"And if they don't?" She asked and Tumnus only looked at her with a smile.

"Then you will rule the land."

"I can't without him." Genevieve whispered and she heard Tumnus scoff as he turned to her with a stern look.

"You Genevieve Pevensie are not his princess. You are your own Queen and if for some reason Aslan decides they're not coming back then you are more than worthy of doing this by yourself because you are strong." Tumnus said proudly and Genevieve smiled at him and nudged his shoulder.

"Thanks Tumnus." She whispered as he pulled her into his embrace, just as worried as she was for the Kings and Queens to return.

Especially his little Lucy.

+++

The sun rose like a flower opening, gifting its petals unto the world. Amid the dancing raindrops was the blush of scarlet, the warmth of tangerine. Gazing toward the illuminated clouds, still beneath the ethereal glow. It was in these times that many Narnians felt at home in a way they never had before.