Chapter 1

Shae was packing the last of her clothing into her overnight bag when she heard an obnoxious horn blaring outside.

She peeked out the window to see her friend Vickie bopping her head to the beat of "The Hills" by the Weeknd, which was blaring through her speakers. She had not a care in the world as the bass boomed at ear-splitting levels. She could see her friend taking selfies and dancing in her seat.

Shae shook her head as Vickie didn't seem aware that she was disturbing the peace with all of her windows down so the neighborhood had no choice but to listen to her music

She checked my watch. It was seven in the morning and this fool was out there laying on the horn.

She'd better be glad my community is family-oriented and folks were either awake and getting ready for work, getting their kids ready for school, or already gone.

Shae smiled at herself as she danced along with the beat and slid her slippers into the outer corners of her bag. She zipped it up with a flourish, grabbed her cell phone, charger, and headphones, only stopping to pick up her keys by the door before locking up and heading out to the car.

The closer she got to the car, the clearer the music was.

"I only call you when it's half past five,
The only time that I'll be by your side,
I only love it when you touch me, not feel me,
When I'm fucked up, that's the real me,
When I'm fucked up, that's the real me, yeah".

"Damn Shae it took you long enough!" Vickie yelled as she turned the music down and popped the trunk.

"Sorry, I was up there twerking in the mirror to your block party," Shae said as she rolled her eyes and tossed her American Tourister carryon-sized bag in the trunk next to her full-sized suitcase.

"It took you that long to pack a toiletry bag?" Vickie laughed.

"Ha, ha, you'll be surprised to see how much stuff I can fit into that little under seater." Shae closed the trunk and got comfortable in the passenger side.

They'd taken the week off from work for a 'mental health break' that was long overdue. Although they were planning to be gone for a week, Shae liked to pack only what she needed and didn't plan to lug around a body-sized bag. She'd rolled everything up as tight as a blunt.

"One Dance' came on by Drake featuring WizKid and Kyla. Shae started dancing in her seat and yelled, "Turn that shit up girl!"

They were finally on the road to New York, which was just about four hours from Boston. But the way Vickie drove, they'd make it there in three and a half.

"I can't believe we're finally going to see Drake's Summer Sixteen tour at Madison Square Garden."

Vickie nodded. She just needed a break from work before she had to punch someone in the throat. Some people were just rude as hell and the way her money was set up, it was either take a vacation or take a trip to the county jail.