Chapter 36

-Fima-

Snow is falling outside. It's so cold now. I am sitting with Mrs. Dasan by the huge glass window and watching outside. The sun is setting and after the sunset, the event will begin.

I was invited to join and watch the rare age-old tradition and ritual of Zach's locality. Zach is going to take over this locality's responsibility from his Dad. To prove his capability, he has to stand against his dad and win. Mrs. Dasan explained me about the festival while we were coming here. This locality is very old and has many legends. They believe that their ancestors were werewolves. Each new generation had to fight against their previous generation to take over the position of the head of the locality. And they are still following this tradition. In some moments, there's gonna be a fight between two wolves. These two wolves will be Zach and his Dad.

!!!

I don't get that part.

I am inside one of the buildings of the huge pack house compound. This building is standing by a huge open space. After this space, the woods starts. The whole field is covered with white snow. Though it's the age of electricity, they are using fire torch around the field. People of the locality have also gathered here. I wonder how they are standing there in such a cold weather. They all seem excited. In the field I see some unknown faces too. They are not from this locality. But where they are standing, people of this locality are staying away from that place. Their presence seems very important. They look at our direction and nod. I see Mrs. Dasan also nods at them.

Suddenly the field goes silent. I see Sirius and another wolf entering the field. Following them, few more wolves enter too.

Why are they using Sirius? What if it gets hurt or dies?

The other wolf seems a little bit older. Both the wolves look at our direction and nod a little bit. I nod my head unknowingly too. After nodding I get my sense back.

Why am I nodding back? Whatever, let's watch it.

Ah! Now I get it. They are using these wolves instead of Zach and his father to symbolize the traditional fight between the werewolves. In my heart, I am not willing to see any more wolves, hear their roars, see their fangs and claws and see them attacking each other and bleed. Besides, this seems kinda violence of animal protection act. I am very worried about Sirius and I'm also feeling bad for the old wolf too. Though it seems violating animal act, Mrs. Dasan assured me that those wolves would be alright. They are well trained.

At first they walk in a circle carefully watching each other's steps. Then they start fighting. How can I describe this fight? The field is filled up by their roars and crowd's roar. People are shouting 'Sirius' and 'Austin'. 'Austin' must be the old wolf. With each passing moments, the play between the wolves seems getting more and more serious and violent. I feel a shiver in my body. I look at Mrs. Dasan and see her worried too. This scares me.

Sirius is younger and stronger but 'Austin' seems experienced and skilled. They are biting and scratching each other. I don't get why people are getting excited over this violent scene. I remember that day when some wild wolves attacked us. I close my eyes and refrain myself from watching it.

"Fima, please watch it or else your wolf Sirius will be discouraged and wounded. I know this scene is reminding you of that day, but you need to be stronger. So let's watch it and encourage our wolves." Mrs. Dasan says in calm voice.

"Austin is your wolf?" I say in surprise.

"Yeah. Isn't it beautiful?" She says without moving her eyes away from the field.

I look again at the fight. Then I hear her saying that, "Sirius is Austin's kid. So don't worry. It's just a ritual so they are fighting. Their wounds will be healed in no time."