38. Hanky Panky With Mr. Cranky

Start from the beginning

"Adam!" I yelled in exasperation. "It's not how things work. You can't just be plain rude one moment and then apologize the next."

"I know." he said, stepping closer to me. "And that's why I am saying I apologize."

I shifted on my feet, thinking whether to let it go or not. Sighing finally, I walked back to his bed and collapsed on it once again.

He settled beside me in a way that our legs were touching and his hand was resting over mine. For a moment, neither of us spoke anything. We just stayed still, enjoying the silence and exhaling loudly.

"It's complicated." Adam started after some time. "I want to join Harvard but I need to stay closer to New York, for reasons I can't tell you." he told me and despite what he said, I knew why he couldn't move away. It's because of Adaline, the girl or woman he went to visit in that rehabilitation center.

I patted his arm, like Dad used to do whenever I was sad. "You can join Columbia. I mean both are such great options. You shouldn't worry about this." I smiled.

"Yeah, you are right. I'm being ungrateful." he admitted, lacing my fingers with his. As cliche as it may sound, our hands felt like they were made for each other.

"Look at me, I haven't received any acceptance letter yet." I said in a dejected voice.

"You'll get one. You are smart." he said and I blushed at his words because this was probably one of the very few times when he was complimenting me.

"Are you complimenting me Adam?" I teased him.

"Yeah. I mean you have been taught by the best." he smirked and I slapped him on his shoulder.

We talked for an hour, teasing each other one moment and having a serious conversation the next. I loved that, being able to talk to him without hesitiaing or making a fool of myself.

...

"So are you both a couple now?" Emily asked in hushed voice because we have been already scolded by the librarian for speaking out loud.

"I don't know. I mean it's not like he has asked me out." I told her and jotted the points down from the reference book.

"But he kissed you in the kitchen. Right?" she asked.

"Yeah but that was it. We just talked after that. Like he could have asked me out if we wanted, no?" I trailed off.

"I don't know. I'm not a relationship expert either." she shrugged and turned her face back to her notebook.

"By the way, have you gotten any acceptance letter yet?" I asked her, thinking about the letters that I found at Adam's house.

"Yep. Got one from Juilliard yesterday. It was Mom's Alma mater so I guess I might be joining it." she said.

"Wow. That's great." I said a little loudly and got an intimidating state from Mrs. Bradley the very next moment.

After finishing my assignment, I made my way to the Cafeteria to satisfy my hungry stomach but stopped in my tracks when I caught Noah messing with a short, thin guy who looked petrified of him.

"Noah!" I narrowed my eyes at him and pulled him away from the guy. "Stop bullying others."

"What? Is it my fault that he couldn't defend himself." he said, walking behind me.

"Yes. It is your fault that instead of instilling confidence in an already self conscious person, you're bullying him." I argued.

"Whatever!" He rolled his eyes and put his arm on my shoulders.

"You're heavy." I said, pulling apart.

"Not heavy idiot, Ripped. Girls worship this body." he smirked.

"Well, some of us have seen better." I taunted and he made a contorted face.

"Better than this." he acted surprised at my words and pointed towards himself.

"Sorry but this-" I pointed towards his chest. "doesn't even come closer to my standards."

"Now who's bullying." Noah pouted, pulling her lower lip out and using his puppy dog eyes.

"Bullying the bully isn't a big crime." I shrugged and walked forwards, while Noah made his way to the playground where a practice session was being held.

I have taken few steps ahead when a hand wrapped around my wrist and someone pulled me inside the Janitor's closet. I tried to scream and stopped when I realized who it was.

"Adam." I asked, feeling breathless because Adam had pinned me to the wall and his arms were caging me inside.

"Hi." he smiled sheepishly, and like I have said many times before, such smile on his serious face makes him look constipated.

"What are you doing?" I asked, looking deep into his beautiful eyes.

"Nothing. Just making sure you don't spend too much time with that shithead. It's bad for your brain cells." he said without stepping away from me, his body still pressed against mine.

"Adam? Are you by any chance jealous?" I asked, grinning wide and he looked as if I had caught him off-guard.

"Jealous?" he narrowed his eyes at me like typical Adam. "Why would I be jealous of that dimwit?"

"I don't know. You tell me." I smirked at him.

"I am not jealous." he said through gritted teeth, his brows furrowed in anger.

"Of course you aren't." I teased again, making an innocent face.

"Don't tempt me Alicia!" he said, looking offended.

"Tempt you to do what?" I was in full mood of pushing his buttons.

"To do this." he leaned towards me and claimed my lips, knocking the breath out of my lungs.

I stood there still, gasping, while he dipped his tongue in my mouth and his other hand pulled my hair back to give him more access. Breaking off the trance, I returned his kiss with my eager flicks, tasting the sweet taste of strawberry juice from his tongue, sucking and biting gently.

____________________________

Do comment.