Chapter 21

"S-Stella, there's something going on. I felt it," Edmond asked as he was struggling to move, to speak clearly, and he's trying to resist something inside of him but it made him more vulnerable. He couldn't think clearly as well. Hindi na niya naco-control kung ano mang lumalabas sa kanyang bibig. "What's happening? Why I can't move my body?"

Stella shook her head. Her ignorance of what's happening kept her in a safe spot. She kept her distance away from Edmond as his physical features were starting to change. Edmond was trying not to show his face which him preventing to do something dangerous. "I don't know what you're talking about... I didn't do anything to you."

"A-Are you sure?" he looked her in the eye, which somehow sent her a chill down to her spine but she tried to take it away by denying everything. "Stella..." he called her, she intently looked at him, like she has nothing to worry about. Nanatili na lamang siyang kalmado at inuusisa ang nangyayari kay Edmond.

Edmond chased his breathing. Pakiramdam niya'y may unti-unting humaharang sa kanyang lalamunan. Edmond tried to breathe properly as much as he can. Nagsisimula naman siyang makaramdam ng pag-iinit sa ilalim ng balat niya. He tried to endure the pain. Mas malala pa iyon kapag nakakahawak siya ng vervain. 

Sunod na lamang na napansin ni Stella ay namumula ang mata ni Edmond. Sa pagkakataong ito, she became heartless and acted as if she has nothing to do with his pain. Tumiklop si Edmond habang iniinda ang sakit. 

"Ed..." her voice was low, trembling. She's trying to be comforting and somehow nervous for him. "Ed... did you do it? Did you kill Alycia's cousin? Homer?"

He grunted, resisting the kind of urge to speak out something he doesn't want to comply with. But there's something running in his veins that even if he could resist it and it just hurt him. The pain lingered and didn't pass.

He sighed, his shoulders were moving up and down from rhythm to his hard breathing. "I didn't mean to do it. I was already craving for blood—"

"Of Alycia?"

He nodded. Hissing from the pain. "Her blood was pure. Her blood was something I never tasted before. Her blood was like a drug and all she was a profound calling of my addiction. I had to take aside those cravings and it all came to a point that Homer was there when the monster inside of me took me over. The next day, everyone found him dead... but it made me satisfied after not tasting Aletheia."

"How could you do that? I know for a fact that creatures like you can't be tamed with good things because you grew up in an environment you are aware of. Do creatures like you always kill people—let me rephrase that, those innocent lives?"

He shook his head. He was trying not to answer her, but there's something inside him that kept him doing it.

"No..." he grunted. He slowly rose his head and Stella saw how Edmond's eyes darkened. Her mouth opened. She thought of running but that would make her guilty of what she did to him. "So... vampires aren't killers at all? They just feed on humans?"