Chapter 58

I was standing outside the room, my hand on the doorknob. Few minutes have passed by since I was here but I was too scared to open the door and step in. I closed my eyes, sending a small prayer to God that everything goes well. Taking a deep breath I twisted the doorknob and opened the door.

Carter was laying in bed, a small smile on his face as he watched his mother talk. His Father sitting on the other side. His gaze shifted from his mother to me and I wished the door hadn't made a sound. I wanted to just watch him from afar for a while. His smile became smaller as concern and worry filled his face. His eyes searched everywhere every part of me, making sure I was okay.

"Hi," I said with a small smile, my heart beating fast.

Before he could reply his mother stood up.

"We're going to the cafe downstairs to get something to drink."

Carter nodded at her as his father stood up too. Together they made way towards the door. Veronica smiled at me before stepping out leaving me and Carter alone. I stared at the door, it's grey colour reminding me of my favorite sweater of Carter.

"Hey," said Carter and I turned to look back at him.

I walked towards him and sat down where his mother was sitting.

"How are you," we asked each other simultaneously.

"You first," I said with a small smile.

"I'm alive," He said with a smile of his own.

"You scared me," I said, my eyes starting to fill with tears.

"I know, I'm sorry" replied Carter, moving his hand to hold mine.

"Are you okay? They...they didn't do anything to you right?"

"I'm fine, the police came shortly after you fainted. Besides they weren't interested in me, all they're attention was focused on the drugs"

Carter nodded while his fingers drew circles on my hand, calming me down.

"I tried to stay awake as long as I could, I was scared to leave you there alone, I'm sorry I couldn't protect you"

"Stop please, you've protected me enough, " I said holding his hand tightly.

"The drugs, Abel took them. Is that bad? will the people you work for do something to you when they find out?" I asked voicing my fears.

"I don't know yet, but I'll handle it. You don't need to worry about that"

I nodded, still unsure but didn't press the issue further. Right now I just wanted to be with him, enjoy his company. I was so grateful he was alive and okay. All the stress from the day was slowly drifting away.

Until Carter finally asked the question I was dreading.

"You're not going to leave right? You won't leave me right?"

I looked up in his eyes and saw fear again, the same when from last night. For a moment I felt like lashing out on him, for ruining our perfect moment. I wanted to sit here with him and be happy, not think about the future which looked so uncertain.

"Carter, I'm sorry but-"

"You can't do it Eva, you can't just leave me here all alone" Cut in Carter.

I could see anger mixing with fear in his eyes. His hand holding mine tighter now.

"You don't understand Carter, I can't just hold my dad back. This is his dream, I can't ask him not to live it"

"Then let him go. You can stay here with your mom"

"I can't leave him, Carter, he needs me there to settle in and-"