Chapter 57

I stared at her in shock and disbelief. Unable to comprehend what was going on. Nina with a gun? That's an image I never imagined, never could have imagined. I didn't stay on the floor for long, staring at her. I scrambled on my feet and ran to Carter. He was bleeding profusely, a hole in his shirt. 

"It...it's okay...I"m fine" Said Carter as tears started to make my eyes blurry.

"You take the drugs and leave. I'll handle her" I heard Kaiden say.

Carter brought his hand to my face, wiping away my tears.

"You need to get out of here," He said in a whisper.

"Aren't you underestimating me Kaiden" Said Nina as shook my head no.

There was no way I was leaving Carter behind like this. Especially in the presence of Kaiden and Nina.

"Listen to me, I'll be fine. Get out of here and go find Drake."

"Well sorry to break it to you Kaiden but nobody is leaving until I have the drugs. Also, don't try to do anything smart cause my gang is right now surrounding the house."

I looked up at Nina, her hair damped because of the rain. Anger bubbled inside me. Two people who I trusted had turned out to be monsters today. I wanted to shout at them, ask them why they did it. Did my friendship, my trust meant nothing to either one of them?

"How could you, I was your friend," I said to Nina, my anger burning me.

"We were never friends Eva and I don't have time for any kind of sentimental talk right now."

I felt Carter grab my hand, my gaze shifted back to him and saw his eyes fluttering closed. I could see he was trying so hard to keep them open.

"No..no..no..no, please don't," I said, my chest filled with pain that I have never experienced before.

I didn't know emotions could cause such big pain. 

"The greatest love story of our high school life turning into a tragedy," Said Nina trying to look sad.

I wanted to slap her, shoot her the same way she did to Carter. 

"But finishing off Carter William was necessary and I'm glad I had the honor" 

I looked back at Carter as fear took hold of me again. Stronger than ever. This cannot happen, Carter couldn't be this helpless, couldn't just leave me.

"Anyway back to business. Abel hand over the drugs" Said Nina.

Before Abel or Kaiden could say or do anything there was a loud siren wail, coming closer and closer. Police!

"ABEL RUN" came Kaiden's shrill voice as I saw him throw a gun towards Abel. 

I watched as Nina started shooting after Abel. I tried to move Carter away to a corner so he wasn't hit by a bullet again. He was completely unconscious, his hand gripping mine firmly. The police need to come fast. 

A loud shriek came from Nina, she collapsed on the ground as blood oozed out of her leg. Kaiden shot again this time targeting her hand holding the gun. The gun flew away as the front door flew open. 

"DROP YOUR WEAPONS NOW" shouted the police officer as relief started to kick in. Police were here, we were safe. 

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Kaiden drop his gun calmly, relief on his face too, surprisingly. 

..................................

I was sitting in the waiting room, Carter had been taken in for an emergency operation to get the bullet out. I had called Carter's parents and they were trying to get a flight to fly back home. I could hear my heart beating so loud that I was sure it was sitting right next to me and not inside my chest. I kept my mind numb, not wanting to think anything. Cause if I allowed my mind to think, it wandered off to the possibilities about what could happen to Carter.