Chapter 45

I screamed and sat right up, my heart beating so fast I feared it will escape my body. Small beads of sweat had formed on my forehead, I wiped them away using my hand. This was the third time I was having this nightmare. This time Rick had killed Carter with a knife.

I leaned against the headboard and closed my eyes, trying to even my breathing. These nightmares need to stop, they leave me exhausted, haunted and scared.

I turned to my side table and picked up my phone. It was one in the morning. I dialed Carter's number wanting to hear his voice, make sure he is okay. He picked up at third bell.

"Hey, why are you still up? Is everything okay?" He said and felt calm rush over me.

"I couldn't sleep" I replied closing my eyes.

"Is everything okay Eva?" He asked again.

I nodded then realised he can't see me.

"Yes, what were you doing?"

"I was about to go visit Drake but my mom send me back to my room. Apparently its a school night. I just realised my mom is really annoying"

I couldn't help but laugh.

"I like that sound" he stated making me blush. I thank God he wasn't here to see me.

"We went to the doctor the other day, he said I can go back to school. It will be fine, I just have to be careful, not exhaust myself"

"That's amazing, I can't wait to show you off in front of everyone. And you don't have to worry I'll be there to take care of you"

"That's sweet" I said smiling.

This version of Carter was so different and nice. He talked without thinking, he said things he felt lile saying, there was no barrier. The best part about this version was that it was just for me.

"You should go to sleep, its school night" I said.

After Carter hanged up I layed down again, sleep coming back to me in bits and pieces. As I was about to doze of I felt the door creak. I could feel my body become alert

"She's here" I heard Alex whisper and relaxed.

"What are you doing?" I said and sat up.

Both Alex and Daniel were standing in the doorway, dressed in their pj's and superman shirts.

"We were just making sure you were still here, we check everynight" said Daniel.

"We don't want you taken away again"
Added Alex.

"Don't tell mom, she'll get angry if she found out we stay awake at night"

"I won't" I replied my heart swelling.

"We'll go now" said Alex and they turned to leave.

"Wait-" I called out and they stopped in their tracks.

"I'm scared, can you sleep with me tonight?"

They both nodded with a smile on their faces and climbed on either side of me. Hugging each other we slept peacefully.

I didn't had a nightmare that night again.

............................

I was sitting in the living room, eating the soup mom had made for me. There was nothing on the television that I could watch. I flipped through the channels bored.

"Finish all of it" said my mom as she came in and sat next to me.

"I am trying" I replied talking a spoon full.