Chapter 10

"Behave in front of my father" I said to Carter who was sitting beside me on the dining table. My father was in the kitchen. He just looked at me for a moment before ignoring me again.
"Here we go" said my father as he brought tea for the three of us, the rest of the breakfast already on the table. the delicious aroma surrounding us and i realized how hungry i was as my stomach growled. Dad has made eggs with jam and bread.
"so Carter, what brought you here last night?" Asked my father as we started to eat. Carter was spreading jam on his bread.
"The storm" replied Carter.
"Yes yes of course" said my dad looking straight at Carter, i took a bite of my food trying to release the tension building up inside me or the tension around me. Right now i couldn't tell them apart.
"So did you sleep well? Was the guestroom fine? And did Eva treat you well?" Asked my father scrutinizing his eyes a little. Daniel got this habit from father.
"A...yea it was fine, Eva lend me some of your clothes i hope you don't mind and then i just slept." He replied.
Carter seemed so calm as he sat there answering my father's question as he ate his breakfast. Like this didn't bother him at all, like it was a routine, coming here and eating breakfast with us while making small conversations. i wonder how did that? acting so natural? 
I glanced at my father and was relieved to see he had started eating, meaning there's going to be no more interrogation. 
"How're your parents? I haven't seen them in a while?" asked my father as he took a sip of us tea.
"Neither have I" He mumbled under his breath and then said in a clear voice.
"they've been gone for a while now due to work. they will probably come back next weekend."

After breakfast Carter helped with cleaning the table, something i wasn't expecting from a rich brat. We didn't talk, he was being civil in front of my father and i was thankful. Its not like i want my father to like him or approve him and my father did relax a bit.
"Thank you for letting me stay" said Carter as he walked out the door. 
"Its a payback for saving my brother, now we're even" I replied standing in the doorway.
"Right" He replied with a smirk.
He looked around as i waited for him to leave, the birds were singing their happy songs as they flew around, the sun was shining but it wasn't hot. The weather was splendid.
"About the English project I'll help you do it." said Carter his hands in his pocket.
"Right" I said closing the door with a smile.

I checked my mobile phone to see the time. It was already five p.m. I had to go and pick up the twins and Millie but was feeling too lazy. i groaned and then closed the book i was reading, placing it on my side table. Getting up I stretched my hands and got ready to leave.
"Dad Im going to pick up the kids" I said as coming down the stairs.
"Wait Eva" said my father coming out of his room.
"So um....I've been wanting to ask you about Jennifer. What do you think about her?"
I stared at my dad and saw his expecting eyes. I dont know if my father really like Jennifer or he just wants to be with someone to cover up mom's absence. Is it just a crush or something more?
"Dad she seems cool and she can bake cookies." I said.
A smile appered on my father's face.
"Yeah? You think so? It was her idea you know coming here and meeting you, she really wants to spend time with you all. So you like her right?"
"Dad she's fine and what matters is that you like her i mean we already have a mom but you need someone so if its her then great. I dont mind"
"Right right.....well of you go bring your siblings I've been missing them."

As i rode my bicycle to mom's house there were alot of things on my mind and one of them suprised me to even me there. It was Carter, I mean why am i even thinking about him? Its maybe the fact that I saw a completely different side of him last night and in the morning, something i haven't seen or expected before. I mean this Carter almost seem likeable but Eva Evans is smarter than to fall for his charm, right? This is not the real Carter, the real Carter is the one who tease me at school, makes fun of me, the person who gave everyone the invitation of my mom's wedding. As I remembered these things anger boiled in me. Carter William is not a nice person and i need to stay away from him to keep myself from any other damage.
As i swimmed in my thoughts i didn't see where i was going and bumped into someone collapsing myself.
"Ouch" i mumbled as I bumped into someone and hit the ground with my cycle. Rubbing my back I stood up and searched for the person I hit.
"Don't you see where your going?" Came a voice and I saw a boy about my age stand up in front of me, anger visible on his face. He was wearing a maroon checked shirt with black jeans, his hair pulled back with the help of gel and let me tell you he looked fine, not Carter fine but fine. Wait! Why am i comparing him to Carter?
"I'm really sorry, i just kind of zoned out" I replied hurriedly as my eyes looked him over to see if he was hurt.
"Are you alright?" I asked as my eyes shifted back to his face. His anger seemed to have gone a little bit.
"Yea I'm fine"
"Great, I'll get going now" I said picking up my bicycle. As I looked up I saw him staring at me and before i could think anything i peddled my cycle away.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to open it. It was starting to get dark, sun sinking down with every passing minute. Evenings are beautiful if you sit and enjoy them. As i went forward to knock a second time, the door flew open and a man in his early forties stood in front of me. He was wearing a brown coat and had a little beard.
"Oh hello you must be Eva" He said, smiling.
"Um....how are you?" I asked.
"I am Henry your mom's Fiance" He replied.
"Of course" I mumbled underneath my breath.
"How rude of me" He said stepping aside "Come on in".
I made my way inside the house as Henry closed the door behind me.
I could here the racket coming from the living room and walked there.
Mom was sitting on the floor as Alex jumped on her from the couch. She caught him, of course she did. Millie was trying to climb the couch so she could do the same while Daniel ran around them.
"EVVVA" screamed Daniel and ran towards me. I bent down and hugged him while he strangled me.
"I missed you so much" he said.
After he let go Alex came forward hugging me with as much force as possible.
"Was the storm too scary?" He whispered in my ear.
"Yea it was" I whispered back.
"Im sorry, i wont leave you alone next time"
I giggled at his sincerity and stood up as Millie came running into my legs, bending down again i picked her up.
"Eva its so good to see you" said my mom as she stepped forward and gave me a bone crashing hug.
"The dinner is ready" she said letting me go.
"O no, we're not staying, its getting dark we need to get home quick" I said hurriedly, not really wanting to stay.
"Eva please, just stay for the dinner i will drop you off myself."
"Mom-"
"Please" she said before I could say anything else.
I thought about it for a second. Should I stay? I mean her fiance is here and I do know that she is doing this just so i could get along with him. But I do want to spend sometime with her, and if i stay for dinner she will probably leave me alone for another two weeks.
I nodded slowly as squecked with joy.
"I'll go see the kitchen" she said and walked away, leaving me, the kids, Henry and awkwardness.
"So Eva, it's so good to finally meet you." Said Henry as i sat on the couch.
"I have heard alot about you from your mom"
Before i could reply the doorbell rang, a distraction i was thankful for.
"Oh that must be Kaiden, I'll go open the door" said Henry walking out of the living room.
"Whose Kaiden?" Asked Daniel sitting down next to me.
I just shrugged at his question and watched Daniel do the same, mimicking me. Before i could stop him, i heard footsteps and turned around to see Henry standing with a boy.
The same boy I bumped into while coming here!
"Eva this is my son Kaiden" said Henry smiling.
My eyes shifted to Kaiden's and saw him smirking at me probably remembering me from the incident before.
And he's Henry's son, my mom's fiance's son, my soon to be stepbrother.
Oh boy, is my life a joke right now?

PLEASE COMMENT AND VOTE!!!