Chapter 46

I was walking down the road, on my way to a nearby park. I was tired and bored of staying home all day doing nothing. I wanted to go out on my own and have some fresh air.

I entered the park and saw some kids playing around, they're mothers sitting on the benches, having a conversation.

I walked down the track and in the distance saw a fimiliar back. I walked up to Kaiden, his back facing me.

"Hey" I jumped up on him from behind.

"Ahh God Eva" he said startled.

I was about to laugh at his reaction when I saw what he was holding in his hand. A cigerette.

"What the hell Kaiden? I didn't know you smoke" I said grabbing it from his hand and dumping it in a waste basket nearby.

"No I don't smoke" he responded pouting.

I looked at him sternly.

"Then what was that?"

"I....I just smoke when I'm stressed okay? so if your thinking that I'm a smoker your thinking wrong" he stuttered.

I looked at his face my anger fizzing away when I saw how old he looked, like a man defeated by life. My heart softened and I was again filled with the need to help him somehow. Why doesn't Kaiden let anyone help him?

"What are you stressed about?" I asked sighing.

"Oh you know same old, studies, my romantic life that doesn't exist and-"

"Kaiden are you okay?" I asked concern visible on my face.

He stopped talking and looked at me for a moment before taking a deep breath and looking away.

"I am not okay Eva, my life has become miserable and I don't know how to bring it back to normal" he said staring at something far away.

I reached out and placed my hand on his shoulder, he turned and looked at me again, sadness filling his eyes.

"I am here for you, if you want any help you can ask for it" I said with a small smile.

"You'll help me? With anything?" He repeated.

I looked at him and saw the hard expression on his face. There was something in his eyes that made me feel scared. A shiver ran down my body, I imagined it was due to the weather and not Kaiden.

I nodded slowly, our eyes not leaving each other.

"I think I need your help then" he said looking away.

"What is it?" I asked hesitantly, taking in his every move.

He didn't look my way, what could it be?

"I want you to steal drugs from Carter for me"

I looked at him wide eyed, no words escaping me. His eyes changing from strong to weak, pleading without words.

"Are you crazy? You want me to steal something from my boyfriend?"

"Eva, I am in deep shit right now and by deep shit I mean I can get killed any day. I need those drugs to get out"

"Kaiden-"

"No you don't understand, those drugs are the only way I can live Eva"

I could see his frustration, his irritation even his aggresion to make me agree but more than all these things for the first time since I met Kaiden I saw fear.

He was scared to death, it was written all over him. The calm and peace that always surrounded him was gone, I suddenly realised I haven't seen his smile in so long.