Chapter 41

I felt the soft blanket that was covering me, the pillow under my head. I tried to move and to my great surprise I did. I could feel everything now, my hands, feets, eyes. I paused for a moment becoming completely still and then tried to open my them.

I was scared they won't open, that they won't respond. The same hopelessness that I was surrounded with before will return.

But they opened. At first all I could see was white light and after a few seconds they closed again. The first thought that came to in my mind was am I finally dead? Is this it? Have I left  everything behind? Everyone behind?

I tried to open them again and this time things started to come in focus, I could slightly make out the white sheet on me, the edge of the bed I was lying on, the door at the far corner. It took me few more minutes to finally be able to see everything.

I was alone in the room, I turned my head and saw a window at the left side, there was sunlight pouring in the room from it. The room was warm, I assume it is daytime. I looked at the side table, it was filled with medicines, flowers and get well soon cards. Looking around I figured the room wasn't huge, there was a couch next to the door two chairs on either side of my bed and an other door that I assume is the bathroom on the far right side.

I tried to get up, it took a lot of force, I felt pain in every part of my body and had to stop after every moment to regain my strength. Finally I managed to sit up, leaning against the pillow I took deep breaths to calm my racing heart. This was exhausting. I closed my eyes, listening to quiteness in the room when suddenly the door opened.

Dad walked in with a newspaper in his one hand and coffee in the other. He didn't look like my father at all, he looked so weak, I could see his bones even from here. There were huge bags under his eyes and the peace and calmness that always surrounded him was gone. I felt like crying seeing him like this.

He didn't notice me and first, he opened the door with his head down and closed it behind him. He walked over to the couch and placed the newspaper there. Still holding his coffee he turned towards me and stilled. His eyes widening as if he couldn't believe what he saw in front of him.

"Hi dad" I said. My voice coming out hoarse and light.

He didn't say a thing and walked towards me, he placed his coffee on the side table and not once stopped looking at me.

"Dad" I said again.

Wanting him to know that he wasn't dreaming, I don't know how many times he had dreamt it, me waking uo that even a reality now seems like a dream to him.

"Eva" he said finally.

His eyes filling up with tears and he came forward and hugged me. I could feel pain spreading everywhere due to his tight hug but I didn't say anything, I just hugged him with as much strength as I could.

"Oh God, thankyou" he said pulling away and kissing me on my forehead.

"Your finally up, I.....I cannot believe it...God I'm so happy your finally back. I was so scared" he said as tears fell out of his eyes.

"Its okay dad, I'm fine, everything will be okay now" I said wiping away his tears with my hand.

He hugged me again as I relaxes in his embraced realising how much I have missed it.

"I'll go call the doctor so he can check up on you, hopefully everything would be fine. And I'll go call your mom, ah wait till the twins see you" he said with a light laugh.

"I just dropped them off to the school, do you need anything?" He asked.

"Water" I said rubbing my neck, I was very thirsty.