Chapter 50

I rested my head against the window of Carter's car. Closing my eyes as he took me back home. It was the first day at school and I was beyond tired, exhaustion taking over me, my body aching everywhere. I just wanted to sleep.

"Tired?" Asked Carter concern lacing his voice.

I hummed my reply unable to talk.

"Maybe you should stay at home tomorrow and rest"

"I think I'll get better after I take my medicines and sleep" I replied sitting up straight.

"Is it just the tiredness or is something else bothering you?" Asked Carter suddenly.

"What do you mean?" I asked looking at him.

"You seemed quite today, is there something wrong? You know you can tell me"

I watched Carter as he drove, his hair scattered, his eyes on the road. He looked like a dream that a girl like me could never have.

"Nothing, its just the huge amount of attention I got today, I'm not used to it" I replied.

"You know I was wondering if you would like to sit with my friends tomorrow?" I asked.

"Of course" said Carter looking at me and smiling.

.............................

We were all sitting in the living room watching some cartoon that the kids were in love with these days. Henry came at dinner time, bringing cake as a sweetdish. Right now he sat next to mom holding hands, Millie in his lap. Both him and mom looked relaxed and happy and for the first time I felt relaxed and happy seeing them like this.

I asked Henry about Kaiden, how he was and where he was. He hasn't been to school and neither has he contacted me after that day when I refused to find where the drugs were.

Henry said he didn't know much either, that Kaiden visited him a few days ago but had disappeared again. I could see the worry in his words as he spoke about Kaiden, he was his only son and he didn't want to lose him in any way.

I shifted my gaze back to the television, thinking about Carter. I wonder what he is doing right now. I wanted to invite him over, he must be feeling alone in that huge house but it was late.

Suddenly the front door bell rang adding noise. I wonder who it is.

"I'll get it" said Alex standing up and running to the door.

"DAD" came Alex's scream from the hallway.

Dad? What was he doing here at this time?

Daniel got up and ran to after hallway as Millie got off Henry's lap. I got up as dad and the twins entered the living room.

"Hey dad" I said walking over to him as he held Millie in his hands.

"Hey kid" he replied hugging me back.

He eyes fell over mom and Henry, he nodded at mom and shaked hands with Henry. My father has always been so graceful.

"Its a rather odd time to come." Remarked my mother.

"I got off late today"

"Are you hungry? I'll heat up some food for you" she said walking over to the kitchen.

"No need I already ate at the restuarant I'm only here to take the kids" replied dad as Alex played with his legs.

My mothet froze in her step and slowly turned around, gazing at my father intently.

"Where?" She asked.

"Home"

"This is their home" she retorted back.