Chapter 44

Chapter 44

2 and ½ years later.

It was the most traditional wedding you could imagine. But I’d heard Mia was kind of like that. We were sat in a massive church in London and Mia had a spectacular wedding dress on.

I had Aaron’s winter coat over my shoulders as we sat in the church because it was pretty cold.

“Stupid time to get married.” Aaron grumbled.

“They were going to do it in summer. But they had to move it so Mia’s dad didn’t find out she was pregnant.” That was the rumour doing the rounds anyway.

Out of the weddings I had been to this was the one I cared least about. I didn’t really know Mia and I wasn’t really a fan of Gareth. We were here though because of the whole Aaron and Gareth being on the Wales team together.

I sighed and looked at my watch and then at Aaron from the corner of my eye. We had two more weddings to go to this year. And Kieran and Beth had got engaged. I was trying to calculate how I could dodge every attempt Aaron would take to have ‘the chat’ with me again.

He’d had half-hearted attempts but I felt with a lot of our friends tying the knot then it may play on his mind more.

“When will this be over?” I muttered to Aaron.

“Shhh it’s… lovely that they’ve written their own vows.” He tried to stay serious but he cracked up halfway through and I had to elbow him to keep quiet.

Outside the church the sky was bright but it was still bitterly cold so I kept Aaron’s coat around me.

“You look cute.” He said.

“What?”

“You’re glowing. I think it’s the cold.”

“I feel like shit.”

“You always do feel shit at weddings,” He poked.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Come on Anais. Talk to me.”

“What?”

“The wedding thing.”

“What do you want to know?”

“Have your feelings changed? Slightly in the last few years.”

“No.”

“No? Just no”

“Come on, I said I wouldn’t change. And I haven’t.”

“Not even a bit? We’ve been together five years in November. You must admit that something about you has changed.”

“Yeah. Just not that.”

“Well what I am supposed to do?”

“What do you mean?”

“What happens if I want to get married? At Grace’s wedding you said that I’m only 21 and shouldn’t be thinking about this stuff but… I’m 24 now. I am thinking about this stuff.”

“Well…. I just don’t see this changing. Are you not happy?”

“I am. I’m so happy. But just knowing that someday maybe we could get married would make me so much happier.”

I realised I was crying for some reason. “I can’t. Aaron. We-“

“I’m not going to give up.”

“I can’t keep having this same argument with you though.”

“I don’t want to be thirty and realise I’ve wasted ten years on a relationship not going anywhere.”

Wasted? Is this a waste just because I won’t put a fucking ring on my finger?”

“That was the wrong word.”

“It was the wrong fucking word Aaron. This will never have been a waste, wherever it ends up”

“Where will we end up though?”

I groaned in frustration. “Why do you need to know?”

“It’s just me.”

We stood staring and knew what was coming. “Well maybe we’ve reached our limit. There’s only so far incompatible people can go.”

“We’re hardly incompatible.”

“But we want completely different things.”

“Let’s just slow this down, Anais.”

“You’re the one asking me to marry you.”

“Anais…”

“I think we should take a few days.” That was me being sensible. Something I’d learnt to be in the last few years.

Before I could even see Aaron’s reaction I left and found my car.

I went back to our house and I grabbed a bag stuffing in a few clothes. I then called Apollo who trotted oven with his tail between his legs.

When I put him in my car he could sense something was wrong because he started howling which made me cry.

Something told me we weren’t going to get past this. Me and Aaron. Once the idea was in his head we weren’t going to be able to ignore it. And something told me we weren’t going to budge.

Kevin opened the door to me with my bags and Apollo and frowned. “Oh poor honey.” He cooed and put his arms around me.

“It’s just for a few days.” I said to him, trying to convince him and myself.

I put Apollo’s dog bed in Kevin’s kitchen and he lay down in it still looking depressed.

“Guess you know how I feel, mate.” I said quietly while I tickled his ears.

I got a text through and I thought it would be Aaron so I excitedly scooped it out of my purse.

But it wasn’t.

It was my dental surgery alerting me of an appointment next week.

Exciting.

“Kev, I’m just gonna write something on your calendar!” I shouted to him.

I went over to his calendar and idly wrote my appointment on it ‘cos I knew if it wasn’t written down then I would forget. Kevin wouldn’t though.

It took me a while to take any notice and realise the date. I cocked my head and started rapidly trying to remember back.

I even checked the front of the calendar to check that Kevin had the right year.

“Shit. Shit!” I exclaimed.

Irony’s a bitch.