Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Kevin’s POV

The doorbell started shrilling. I opened an eye and looked at the clock. 3am. For fucks sake Anais. I ignored it for a while thinking she would give up but she was obviously just leaning on the doorbell. How long was this going to go on for? Weeks? Months? I got out of bed and went to the door. Maybe taking her key away from her last week wasn’t the best idea.

*

I heard the door slam and then a thud. Anais. Again. When was this going to stop? Every night since ithappened she had come by off her face. I heard Anais giggling and then shriek. Why couldn’t she go straight home.

I thought she would pass out on the couch like she usually did but there was still noise coming from the living room. I figured I’d tell her to shut up so I got up.

In the living room was Anais against the back of the couch but she wasn’t alone. There was a random guy thrusting into her. I screamed and put my hands over my eyes. I heard Anais laugh and when I looked again the guy was zipping himself up and leaving.

“Nice to meet you Sam!” She slurred as he walked out of the door.

He replied with “It’s Seb.” Before nodding towards me and leaving.

She turned to me and smiled before walking past me and into my room.

I stood there in shock at how crazy she was acting. She had her own apartment and she had just started having sex here.

I stormed into my room as she was about to get into my bed.

“What the fuck are you doing?”

“Going to bed,” She muttered back. Her eyes were all over the place. Obviously plastered. Again.

“What did I say about having sex in my apartment? You’re so fucking disgusting Anais. You didn’t even know his name!”

“It was Sam!” She smiled smugly obviously not realising she was wrong.”And you said me and himcouldn’t have sex. That wasn’t him. It was Sam.” Her not saying Aaron’s name was pissing me off. Like she was trying to evict him from her life. And mine.

“I know that wasn’t Aaron,” I hissed back, “But you can not bring random drunk guys back to my apartment. In fact I want your keys. I want you to stop waking me up when you get fucked up.”

She pulled her keys out of her pocket and threw them at me. Badly. “When did you turn into such a boring fuck?” She asked.

I didn’t reply. Just went and slept on the couch.

*

When I opened the door, as predicted Anais was there. By herself luckily. She walked straight past me and into the bathroom before throwing up. She didn’t have time to bend down and it splashed in her hair and down her dress. She didn’t seem to care.

I couldn’t go back to bed and leave her like this so I started the shower. I took a deep breath and started undressing her, trying to avoid the sick-y clothes. I hadn’t seen her like this in a while, I noticed her ribs protruding. Had she been eating?

When I put her under the water she screamed. “Cold!”

“You need to sober up!”

I left her there and went to dispose of her clothes and grab something for her to wear.

When I went back in the bathroom the shower was still running but she was sat on the floor under it, holding her knees under her chin. She looked me straight in the eye and despite the water I could tell she was crying. She wasn’t still drunk either. These were sober tears she was crying and it killed me that she was so obviously hurting.

She slept on the couch for hours. I went through the next morning and her phone was ringing so I picked it up.

“Hello?” It was her work.

“Anais?”

“No sorry, she can’t come to the phone at the moment. She’s been sick all night.”

“Okay, is she going to make it in today?”

I looked at her sound asleep, “I’m so sorry but she’s too weak to work I think. Just needs to rest. You know Anais, she’s so tiny, she catches sickness so easily.”

“This is the last time I’m covering for her. You and I both know this isn’t a sickness bug that means she hasn’t been for the last month or so and when she does come in she smells like whiskey and sex. She’s new. It’s not going to be hard for the manager to let her go.”

I apologised again and then hung up.

When I came out of the shower later Anais was hunched over a cup of coffee.

“You need to stop doing this Anais.”

She didn’t respond.

“I know he hurt you and you’re hurting but you’re ruining your life. Your work isn’t going to give you another chance and you’re making yourself so vulnerable going out like that.”

She turned to me and looked me straight in the eye. “He didn’t hurt me.”

Saying that she left the house leaving her half drunk coffee.

I slammed my fist on to the worktop. That’s what happened whenever I slightly brought Aaron up. She completely stopped acknowledging his existence.

I had met up with him once after it happened. Anais didn’t know. He told me everything. All the ins and outs. And it was only then did I realise how deep Anais was into this relationship; that the L word had been used between them.

The first time Liddy and Aaron had got together was after a gathering at Liddy’s place. Liddy had an argument with her boyfriend and being a gentleman Aaron comforted her and then one thing led to another.

After that Liddy started developing a thing for Aaron. Getting clingy and stuff even though she was still with her boyfriend.

And then the second time… Aaron was back in London after being at Cardiff. He arranged to meet up with Liddy even though he knew she’d try something. He got drunk and woke up in her bed. He said it was the stupidest thing he ever did because he said that deep down he knew he would always forgive Anais for cheating on him.

It would have been easy to get angry at Aaron for what he did. To not listen to him but I could tell he meant every word. He didn’t meet with me to lie to me.

I hoped Anais would forgive him too. Or at least stop her downward spiral before it caused her real damage.