Chapter 39

Chapter 39 

Aaron leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.

“Fuck off,” I muttered.

“And Merry Christmas to you,” He said laughing.

I pulled the covers up further around me. “You have the day off. Why are you up so early?”

“I wanted to spend all of Christmas Day with my girlfriend.”

I groaned, “Do I have to be awake?”

I heard him sigh and then he ripped the duvet covers up.

I screamed at the cold air.

“You’re such a twat!” I shouted and then hit him and pinned his arms down.

“I love you too.”

It was then that I noticed a little package.

I raised my eyebrows and cocked my head.

“I got you a present.” He said, “But …you probably don’t want it.”

“I do”

He shook his head, “You shouldn’t accept presents from twats.”

“You’re not a twat. I love you really,”

He smiled and then handed over the present.

I was still sat straddling his hips as I opened it.

“An arsenal air freshener? Seriously? Are you trying to tell me I smell?”

He laughed and then tapped on my hips, indicating for me to get off.

He grabbed my hand and then led me through his apartment, past our shittily decorated tree with presents under and Apollo who was chilling on his doggy bed.

He then took me down the stairs and outside.

“What the hell, Aaron?”

He led me out to the porch and then pointed.

“Fuck.” I whispered. “Is that… for me?”

“Yep”

I spun round and kissed him hard. “I love you.”

I skipped over to the car and looked inside.

“I knew you wouldn’t want anything expensive and flashy so I just looked for something cute. It’s second hand but I thought it suited you.”

“I love it. I really do.”

I kissed him again and then we went back upstairs.

“Can I give you your main present now, too?” I asked.

“If you want to.”

I rummaged under the tree until I found the package.

“You didn’t have to,” He said when he unwrapped it. “This is way too much.”

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Seriously, Anais. How did you even afford this?”

“I decided I wanted to get it for you in like May and I’ve been saving since then. Even when we weren’t together… It was stupid but yeah, I noticed you always have your watch on so I figured I’d get you another one. In a different colour.”

He smiled and put the Rolex on. I had spent so long deciding which one to get. It had to be perfect.Especially for £3000.

“I love you,” He said again kissing me.

“How about we go for a walk with Apollo-I’ll drive us somewhere and then we can open the rest of the presents, yeah?”

“Sounds like a plan Batman.”

We got dressed and then put Apollo in the back of my new car. I squealed as I started the engine, excited that I had a car to myself for the first time. No more borrowing Aaron or Kevin’s massive cars. I had my own little one now.

We went for a long walk at Hampstead Heath which was completely empty before returning to Aaron’s apartment which for a week now, had had a for sale sign up outside.

I started cooking some food and then went back to the living room. I had to put all the gifts I had bought in boxes before wrapping them up because Aaron was so cheeky and always felt the presents and tried to guess what they were.

Between us we had bought Apollo some expensive doggy treats and a new collar and lead. From my insistence the lead was an Arsenal one and the collar was red with silver paws studding it.

“We’re turning into one of those couples which treat their dog as if it’s a baby.” Aaron muttered as we unwrapped the presents.

I laughed, “We’ll be dressing him up soon and training him to use the toilet!”

We carried on exchanging gifts. I had told Aaron not to go crazy because I didn’t want to feel bad about not having as much money.

He got me lots of little cute things though. Like chocolate lollipops and some new teacups and Friends on DVD.

He also got this photo frame with a picture of us and Apollo in. He said he wanted me to put it on my desk at work because at the moment I had nothing there.

I got him similar things. Socks, golf balls, some clothes.

After lunch we lounged about watching old films. Anything we could find on the TV. “Love is too weak a word for what I feel.” Aaron said along with Woody Allen in Annie Hall. I turned to him as he stared at me. “I luuurve you, you know, I loave you, I luff you” I continued before kissing him.

“I have another unofficial present for you,” Aaron said as I sat with my head on his chest.

“Hmm?”

“During summer, I thought we could go on holiday somewhere.”

“Will we still be together by then?”

“You’re such a pessimist,”

“I was joking.”

“Not funny.” He complained even as he kissed me.

I giggled against his mouth as he pushed me down onto the sofa.

“Not with Apollo in the room,” I said pushing him away.

“You won’t do it with a dog in the room but when Gibbo’s round and in the next room you can’t keep your trousers on?”

“That was one time. And beside we said we’d ring your mum this afternoon too,”

He whined and then shuffled off me.

“I want to see if she liked the presents I got her.”

“You got my Mum Christmas presents?”

“Er… Yeah.”

“What did you get her?”

“Some books I thought she may like and a gift card to this garden centre.”

“Aren’t you the perfect daughter,” He said nuzzling into my neck.

“Don’t even go there.”

“Well you kind of are.”

“Except I’m kind of not, seeing as I’m merely going out with her son.”

I could feel that Aaron was somehow going to turn this conversation into one about weddings so I was grateful when the phone started ringing.

I leapt up to answer it. “Hi Marlene, happy Christmas!”

I carried on talking to her while halfheartedly tidying away some of the rubbish in the living room until Aaron interrupted.

“Any chance I’m allowed to speak to my Mum?”

I stuck my tongue out and passed the phone over to him.