Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

The sex was… unreal. Incredible. Mindblowing. All those words. You get the picture.

He was laying topless on my bed while I flitted round my room. Picking up clothes. Throwing on a hoody and brushing my teeth. When I returned, he wasn’t in my room. I prayed that he had left already to avoid the awkward conversation to tell him to leave. No such luck though as I moved forward to the kitchen and he was sat on the counter.

“I made you some toast,” He said with his mouth full.

My lips tightened. Another reason I never invited guys back to my place. They always mucked around with your stuff.

“Erm, Aaron?”

He looked up at me innocently. God, he had a cute face. Shut up Anais…

“Look, I have a really early viewing tomorrow… and” What was I lying for? I never bothered lying! I just tell it like it is! “And… I don’t want to wake you…” Shit I’m still talking.

He nodded like he understood but he looked a bit sad. “I understand. I’ll err see you another time.”

He hopped down and gave me a kiss on the cheek. “Bye.” He said before letting himself out.

I was going to leave it but I ran after and grabbed his arm. “Bye,” I kissed him properly on the lips before letting him go. He smiled before turning round again.

I swallowed hard as I closed the door. Why did I kiss him? I didn’t need to. Goodbye kisses were stupid.  They implied another meeting…

As I hurried to work the next morning I wondered what I was doing. I had pretty much been told I was out of the job. I could be late.

I slowed down and bought a milkshake. As I sipped on it, walking slowly down the street, my phone started ringing.

“Where the hell are you!?” Screamed Liddy on the other end, “You’re late!”

“Sorry, I’m too busy making people not like me.”

“I said I was sorry.”

“Whatever. I’m going straight to my first viewing.”

“Oh. Where is it?”

“Shoreditch.”

“Nice.

“I’m still pissed off at you.” I said simply before hanging up.

I looked at my watch. If I wasn’t going in to the office then I still had 40 minutes before my Shoreditch appointment.

I decided to take a walk around the market. I flicked through all the records and second hand books. As I was looking through some hand made soap my phone buzzed. I thought it was Liddy again but it was from Aaron.

HAVE A BETTER DAY TODAY. X

My brain was thinking how pathetic he was but my hands seemed to be controlled by something else.

THANKS. HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY TOO.

I sent if before I knew what I was doing. As I continued walking round I couldn’t believe that I had now seen this guy twice and was texting him. There was nothing obviously different about him and any other guy.

I’m not a slut. I don’t get with as many guys as possible and tell all my friends. I don’t act desperate. I just don’t believe in commitment. I have my reasons. I just like to have fun and avoid leading anyone on.

My phone beeped again. I THINK THAT IS THE LONGEST SENTENCE YOU HAVE EVER SAID TO ME. X

I smiled slightly. DIDN’T SAY IT… TECHNICALLY.

He replied almost instantly again. CHEEKY.

YOU LOVE IT REALLY :P

I walked to my appointment with a smile on my face. It was the first time I had felt this rush in a longtime. I had the one night stand thing down to an art. It was good but there was never excitement. It didn’t feel like a risk.

With this… it felt dangerous. I was in unchartered territory. It was new and I felt like I was treading on thin ice.

The apartment showing was routine and when I got back to the office there was a muffin sitting on my desk. Obviously Liddy. Did she seriously think a muffin would make up for this?

I picked the muffin and walked over to her desk. She looked up expectantly. I held the muffin up and then dropped it into the bin.

“You bitch.” She said. Looking down at where the muffin was now lying amongst a banana skin and empty water bottle.

“Ouch.” I replied sarcastically.

“I know what you did with Aaron you little whore. He’s such a nice guy and you led him on and left him in the gutter. Or should I say men toilets.”

Whore? Hmm that hurt. “Liddy.” I moved closer to her face, “You know nothing. All you do is gossip with your stupid friends.”

“You gave him a blow job. Admit it!”

 “Just because I’m not frigid like you doesn’t make me whore.”

Her mouth opened and then closed. Always get in the last word.

As I turned she piped up again.

“I’m not frigid! I just waited until I was in love. Something you’ll never find because you’re so fucking horrible.”

I scoffed. “Love? There’s no such thing. Love is just what they call it when people decided they can tolerate each other for a long time. Someone always gets hurt regardless.”

This time I had defeated her. For real.

I worked quickly. I could write without concentrating so I was wondering how this could have escalated so quickly.

I shrugged my shoulders. Liddy and I were so different she grated on me a lot. I was happy to have a break from her while we simmered down.

I could tell she was shooting me evils from across the room. She really had not grown up.

*

A week later I was getting off Aaron’s bed and pulling on my shirt. He had tried to initiate a conversation again but he had stopped mid sentence when I unbuttoned my shirt to reveal a lace bra.

Now I was trying to dress again. I sat on the side of the bed trying to pull on my tights. As I turned I noticed his leg. A scar. A big one running just under his knee. I wasn’t thinking. I just put my hand out and stoked it ever so softly. Aaron put his head back and closed his eyes. My hand lingered for a second before I continued to get dressed. As I turned to leave Aaron asked, in a tighter voice than usual, “Aren’t you going to ask?” I knew he was referring to the scar. I was curious but…

“I guess you don’t want to talk about it.” I swallowed, “It’s rude to ask. Some things are best left alone.”

He looked at me curiously. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. Then he spoke, “How are you only… wait how old are you?”

“Twenty,”

“How are you only twenty and be so wise?”

I shook my head smiling. “I’m not wise.” I called as I walked out of his apartment.