Chapter 18

Chapter 18 

I was about to step down the stairs of the underground station when my phone started ringing.

“Hey”

“Hey you, how was work?”

“Okay. I’m tired.”

“Are you coming round?”

“Ermm” Could I be bothered to sit on the train for 40 minutes to see him?

“Please.”

“Okay, I’ll see you in a bit.”

I sat down on the train and tried to stop my head lolling back and my eyes closing

Eventually I got to Aaron’s and let myself in the door. “Heeyyy,” I said as I leant over and kissed him on the couch, despite my horrible mood I couldn’t help smiling at him. I went straight through to the bedroom and put my work bag down and change into the pyjamas which I kept here.

When I walked back into the living room Aaron was standing up awkwardly. “Sooo…” He said.

“So…” I said back unsure why he was being weird.

“Were you going to tell me it’s your birthday?” Oh…

“Ermm” My eyebrows furrowed, “How-?”

“-Kevin brought a present round this afternoon. Said he forgot to give it to you when he saw you the other day.”

I shrugged my shoulders.

“Anais!” He was using that tone.

“WHAT?!”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because! I never really bother with it. Jeez, I can’t even remember the date most of the time. And besides I knew if I told you, you would get me something and I don’t want anything. I’m just happy I’ve got you, Kevin and my own apartment again.”

He frowned and pulled me towards him resting his head on top of mine. “Happy birthday.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you really happy you have me?”

I nod against his chest pulling him closer.

“Don’t be mad but I did get you a present.”

“Aar-“

“Ssh shh, it’s just one little thing.”

He untangled himself from me and reached into his pocket, “If you hate it then I’ll take it back…” He trailed off and pulled the present out.

“Oh. My. God” I muttered. He held it out, “It’s… beautiful Aaron.”

“Really?”

I nodded lost for words.

“You want me to put it on for you, or is that too couple-y”

“I think I’ll survive.”

He smiled and then pushed me over to the mirror and stood behind me. He put the necklace in front of me before doing up the clasp up and kissing the top of my head. I picked up the Bambi charm and examined it. The tiny diamonds and bow around it’s neck.

“Thank you so much, Aaron”

“It’s fine.”

*

“This is going to be embarrassing,” I mutter.

“Why?”

“Because I haven’t played football since I was like… 7”