Chapter 11

Chapter 11         

"Kevin. What the fuck do you get a footballer as a Christmas present?”

I was meeting Aaron in Nottingham the next day and I had done no Christmas shopping and was freaking out.

“Football trainers?”

I laughed. “They get given all that stuff for free!”

“How was I supposed to know? Anais, you’re way too into this football thing.”

“Seriously though. If he wants something he can buy it himself!”

I rubbed my eyes trying desperately to think. I had shopped for his mum and dad even though he told me not to and I had a nice bunch of flowers to give them when I arrived.

“But hey Anais. Meeting the parents is a big step.”

“Thanks for reminding me Kevin. I’m already freaking out enough as it is.”

I spent all day shopping. Literally. It was longer than I ever had done before. I was trying to find a nice outfit to wear as well. I usually spent Christmas in sweatpants by myself. Something told me that wouldn’t be an acceptable outfit option though.

The next morning I rolled out of bed at dawn to catch the train to Nottingham. I was armed with a suitcase on wheels and loads of bags filled with presents that I had still been wrapping in the early hours of the morning.

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU SWEET CHEEKS.

I smiled. YOU TOO AZZA. I text back.

I slept for most of the journey. Ignoring the guy opposite who kicked my shins everytime he moved.

As soon as I got off the platform I saw Aaron, standing at the side. He saw me too and I smiled instantly. I had to stop myself bounding over to him.

I was still grinning like an idiot as I put my hands round his neck. “Hey”

“Hey.” He kissed me lightly. “Your hair.”

“I know.” I had cut in straight bangs last week.

“Makes you look even more myserious.” He muttered before sucking on my bottom lip.

I deepened the kiss and I could sense people were looking at us. The cute couple re-united at the train station.

Aaron took my bag as we walked across the station to his car. He put an arm around my shoulder and for once I didn’t pull away.

When we had put my bags in his car Aaron kissed me again, “I’m really glad you’re coming.”

Sat in the car I took a deep breath and tried to relax.

“Are you okay?” Aaron asked starting the car.

“Yep. I’m just a nervous car passenger.”

“Really?” he asked sounding slightly amazed.

“I don’t trust anyone but myself to drive a car.”

He laughed, “I thought you didn’t drive.”

“I can drive. I just don’t have a car.”

“Well. Just relax. Pick a CD.”

He reached behind me and handed me a stack of new CDs with the wrapper still on.

I flicked through. The Stokes, Hot Chip, White Lies. “Adele? Seriously Aaron?”

“It’s err for my Mum.”

I laughed and put Vampire Weekend into the CD player.

“So, car game?”