Chapter 4

Chapter 4

We fucked a couple more times. It sounds crude but that’s what it was.  Meeting after work or whatever. No unnecessary pleasantries. Just sex. Keep things neat.

It was after one of these nights something changed.

We had finished and I started picking my clothes up and dressing getting ready to leave.

“Must you always do this?” Aaron sighed.

“What?”

“Get dressed like you can’t wait to leave.”

I dropped my top and stared at him.

“Is this what we are? Fuck buddies?”

“Call it what you want.” I muttered.

“What if I want more? What if I want to get to know you? Know your likes, dislikes. Where you grew up. Who your parents are.”

I turned my back on him and ran my fingers through my hair. I could run or… I thought about the adrenaline rush I got when I texted him and the way I was always happy to see his face appeared at the door…I turned around.

“I like dogs. I like it when it rains. I only eat green candy. I don’t like people who speak without saying anything. And I hate romcoms. I was born in London and lived with my Mum until I was 11 and she got fed up with me. She shipped me to France to live with my Dad who couldn’t be bothered to send me to an international school. I went to a french high school not knowing a word of the language. He had a new girlfriend every month and I watched everyone of them get screwed over. I ran away when I was 16 and haven’t spoken to either parents since.”

I rarely told that story. Tears threatened to fall which was stupid. I was over the past.

Aaron got off the bed and wrapped his arms around me in a bear hug. I tried to pull away but he was holding me tight.

He started talking unexpectedly. “The scar on my leg… I broke both the bones in my lower leg in February. It shouldn’t have been me. I’m nearly back now but still, I missed so much…”

“Why do you like me?” I whispered.

“What?”

“You’re amazing and brave and caring and… even my friends think I’m a whore.”

He squeezed me tighter. “Then they’re not your friends. You’re not a whore. You’re brave too. Running from a life you hate. That’s incredible.”

I shook my head and pulled away. “I’m a horrible person. You should just leave me alone.”

“I want to be your boyfriend.” He said it out right and there was a silence.

“I don’t do boyfriends.”

“I’ll show you how it’s done.”

I shook my head.

“Anais, you can’t be scared of getting hurt when something’s not started yet.”

I looked up at him and he was right. He knew right then what I had always been worried about.

“I’m not going to hurt you Anais.”

I looked away.  “Anais, please.” He whispered, “It will be fun. Sex, hand holding, pet names. I’ll take you out.”

“You just listed everything I hate.”

“You don’t like pet names, sweet cheeks?”

I couldn’t help but laugh.

“See, you love it.”

I shook my head. There had been a lot of head shaking. Part of me wanted to get out and run out of the door and leave this thing here and never come back. But the other part was intrigued. Calling for Aaron.

“I’m sensing that if you were going to say no to me you would have left.”

I looked up at him in awe, “How can you read me that easily?”

“So that’s a yes?”

“No. I’m just asking-“

“Shh,” He pressed his lips to mine. For the first time since we met he was kissing me so would shut up.

I pulled away and sat on the side of the bed, head in my hands. Trying to desperately think rationally. I was still split in two.

Aaron came and kneeled in front of me. Putting his hands on my arms. “Anais” I lifted my head up, “We can do this. We can try.”

“You said yourself that I never say anything. How can you know we work?”

“I just have a feeling. ‘Cos I’m always 10 minutes late and you’re always 10 minutes early and-”

“Do you like olives?” The question popped out of my mouth without thinking.

“You’re going to base this on How I Met Your Mother?”

“Answer the damn question.”

“No. I do not like olives.”

I nodded.

“Aaaand?” Aaron probed.

“I like them.”

“That’s sorted according to Lily and Marshall we need to give us a go.”

“Aaron…”

“We can have rules. I won’t hold your hand.”

“You don’t have to-“

“No, we do. And I won’t call you sweet cheeks if you don’t want me to.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Come on, Anais,” He whined. His eyes were wide and he reminded me of Puss in Boots from Shrek.

“If I just say yes will you stop moaning?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I guess I have no other option”

He kissed me but I pushed him away. “Now I do actually need to go this evening.”

“Why?” He was sticking his bottom lip out slightly.

“Aaron are you pouting?”

“No.” He said stubbornly crossing his arms.

I smirked at his acting childish and kissed him on the forehead, “I have to make some photocopies at the office.”

“Fine. You owe me though.”

“Yeah, whatever.” I muttered as I tried to gather my hair into a pony tail again.

He snaked his arms around my stomach, “No, seriously. I may have to take you out on a date…”

“Aw, shit.”

“Mm-hm.”

He kissed the back of my neck before letting me go.

“See you later girlfriend.”

“Ugh, please don’t call me that.”

“Sorry, that’s what you are. You’re my girlfriend, girlfriend.”

I swore at him before leaving the flat.