Chapter 32

Chapter 32

"Anais!” Aaron called.

“Just a minute!”

“You’ve said that three times already! You said you’d be on time tonight!”

“It’s your fault!” I called, “You’re a bad influence!”

“Don’t blame me!”

“I just need to put my shoes on.”

“I’ll go down to the car!”

We were both back at Aaron’s again and about to go out for the second night in a row. Unfortunately this time it was less interesting as we were going to a real estate function which I wasn’t particularly looking forward to.

I ran into the empty living room and hopped to get a shoe on. I went to put the other one on when I caught the heel on my dress.

It was one of those moments which go in slow motion. I could only stare as I started falling. The corner of the coffee table was getting closer to me. My hands were caught up and I couldn’t break my fall as my stomach and ribs came into contact with it. Pain rippled through me as I fell to the ground and I must have blacked out because when I opened my eyes again Aaron ran in to the room.

“What happened?” He ducked down next to me on the floor.

The pain was replaced by heat which surged and prickled through every pore of my body. “Don’t touch me!” I shouted, fearing the pain getting worse-if that was possible.

“Anais.” He was looking around trying to decipher what had happened.

I rolled over into a ball, eyes scrunched shut, praying the pain would subside.

“Do you need to go to hospital?” Aaron asked.

No. No hospital. I shook my head.

Slowly the pain went away until it was a dull throbbing in my abdomen.

I started trying to get up and Aaron helped me. The movement caused searing pain again but I just winced and tried to stand on my own feet.

Aaron handed me a glass of water, “What happened?”

“I got caught up and tripped and fell on the table.”

“Do you want to stay in?”

I shook my head, I need to go out.

He didn’t look convinced.

“Just help me with my shoes.”

I couldn’t manage the heels-so I put on some flat shoes.

Every step caused discomfort and I tried not to wince so I didn’t worry Aaron who I knew was freaking out already.

The car journey was silent and as we walked into the event he asked if I was still okay.

“Yeah,” I lied, “My shoulder has started hurting though.”

He turned to me with a look of concern, “You didn’t fall on your shoulder, did you?”

I shook my head.

Inside I spotted my boss and quickly introduced him to Aaron. There were loads of people there. Estate agents as well as potential customers.

I was scanning the room when I spotted her. With her boyfriend. Heat surged through me again and this time it wasn’t the pain. I stopped thinking and started marching towards her. Any quicker and I would have been running. I vaguely heard Aaron call out behind me but I took no notice.