Chapter 20

Chapter 20

"That lemon tart was amazing Anais. Thanks for bringing it.” Marlene said as she leant forward and put her plate on the table.

“That’s okay. Thank you for having me again.”

I was sat in Aaron’s parents garden and we’d just had a barbeque. A lot of Aaron’s extended family were also there and I had been introduced to all them officially as Aaron’s girlfriend.

“Aaron, could you pass that plate please?” His Dad asked.

I’m guessing Aaron didn’t hear because he continued tapping at his Blackberry.

“Aaron!”

He still didn’t react so I elbowed him in the side.

He looked round at me, “What?” I nodded towards his Dad.

Everyone laughed at him, “Did you forget your name was Aaron?”

I laughed, “He only answers to Mr. Handsome now.”

“What?” Someone asked looking confused but still smiling.

“The fans on the Asia tour called him Mr Handsome. I think it’s gone to his head.”

Everyone laughed again Aaron turned to me. “Cheeky,” He muttered into my ear before pulling on a strand of my hair and biting my ear.

I shoved him in the chest and then stood up to help Marlene take the plates into the kitchen.

“Oh, I’ll do the drying up if you want.” I offered smiling.

“Thanks love.”

I grabbed a towel and stood next to her at the sink, “Aaron said before you were quite domestic.”

I laughed, “I do try.”

“It’s good he has you. He’s not great at that kind of thing. When he first moved away he would constantly forget to pay his bills.”

“Sounds like Aaron. I always say he’d forget his head-“

“-If it wasn’t screwed on!” She started laughing, “I say that too!”

I smiled.

“No. I am glad you two are together, especially after your little spat after Christmas.”

Oh. Didn’t know she knew about that… “Aaron told you about that?”

“Yeah. He said you two had a disagreement and you were taking a break.”

Wow… He hadn’t told her I had cheated…

When we were done in the kitchen I went back outside and sat down in one of the white plastic chairs. I started talking about the upcoming Rugby World Cup with some of the guys.

“Who will you support if France and England meet?”

I thought for a second, “France. That’s where I properly started liking rugby so I guess that’s where my heart lies.”

“And what will you and Aaron do if Wales and France play each other?”

I looked over at Aaron who was gazing at me, I grinned. “There could be issues.”

I spent the rest of the afternoon circulating around guests. Every once and a while I would catch Aaron’s eye and we would smile. I actually felt confident enough to not be stuck to his side and I really began enjoying myself.

People kept asking what it was like being with Aaron and whether it was hard with him moving around so much of the time. I joked that it was nice having him out of the way every once and a while. It wasn’t a complete lie. When there were away matches it gave me some ‘me’ time. They also kept asking whether I missed him while he was on the Asia tour. I smiled and shook my head nonchalantly but that was a lie.

*

“Hey you,” His voice sounded distant down the phone.

“Hey yourself.” I smiled at the sound of the voice still. “How was your day… yesterday?”

“Busy. Interviews. Pictures. Football. Autographs. I’m sick of writing my own name.”

I giggled.

“How was your day? Wait what time is it there?”

“2 in the morning.”

“Ouch. Sorry.”

“It’s fine. I missed you. I needed to talk to you.”

“’Nais, are you okay?” Even 5000 miles away  I could hear the concern in his voice and I finally cracked, tears falling down my face.

“Don’t worry Aa-“

“Nais!”

I heard someone shout Aaron on the other side of the phone, Theo I think. Fuck off. Aaron hissed back to him. “Anais, what’s wrong?”

“It’s stupid… I just feel so alone without you… Kevin’s on holiday and you can’t get to the phone. And I’m so angry with myself because I’ve become one of those girls I hate who can’t go without their boyfriends.”

“Anais. If you ever want to talk to me just ring me.  I don’t care if it’s 5 in the morning, if you need me just call.”

That made me cry more. “I love you.” I whispered down the phone. I hadn’t said it again since Glastonbury but it was still there. We didn’t need to say it to know it.

“I love you too.”

Aaron stayed on the phone with me whispering sweet nothings until I fell asleep.

*

A lot of the guests had left, and me and Aaron found each other again and sat together in a corner of the garden. “Did I tell you how pretty you look today?”

“The drooling suggested you did,”

“What?” He asked alarmed.

“I was just joking” I said then nuzzled under his arm.

I knew that he would have smiled and he put his arm around my shoulder. After a while I slid his phone out of his pocket and started playing about with it. There was still the picture of me in the Wales scarf as a background so I put my head next to Aaron’s. “Smile!”

I took the picture and set it as his wallpaper. “Nice?” I asked and he nodded.

The phone in my hand started vibrating and I jumped. LIDDY.

I saw Aaron swallow and he took the phone and clicked the ignore button.

There was a silence. “Why is Liddy calling you?”

“Erm. Well…. we were friends… before… we ever hooked up…”

“If I remember rightly you’re her roomate’s boyfriend’s friend or something which doesn’t suggest you’re particularly best buds to me.” My voice was harsh and I didn’t even try and check myself because I was confused. “Why is she calling you?”

“Err…”

“Tell the truth Aaron.”

The worst I was expecting was that they were actually friends or that he was trying to get us to make up.

“Anais… I slept with Liddy… Twice.”