Chapter 24

Chapter 24

"Remember the party tonight!” Roxy called after me as I left the office.

“Yeah, yeah.” I muttered.

Need to find that invitation. As soon as I got home I rummaged through all my piles of paper trying to find it. Having not cleaned the place for months I was starting to struggle to remember where I kept stuff.

Eventually I found the invite under a pile of dirty plates. It was a work thing. Real estate and other such boring things. I hadn’t realised where it was taking place though. THE EMIRATES STADIUM.

Fuck.

I couldn’t back out, I had just said I would go and I was already in trouble with work. This week was the first time I had made it into the office at 9am every day for ages.

I felt like calling Kevin and telling him my dilemma but I hadn’t spoken to him since he had told me off at his place last weekend. I didn’t know if he was still angry with me.

I rushed to my bedroom and picked a dress. I had so many party dresses strewn around the place. Some cleaner than others.

I pulled one on then went out to the underground station. Back on the familiar route to the football ground.

I met up with Roxy and Beth outside the train station and walked to the stadium with them.

“Ooh how do you get in?” Beth asked.

“I don’t know… it’s so confusing.” Roxy said.

“We just need to get round to the other side and then there’s the entrance to the director’s box and a corridor to the conference room we’re in.”

They both turned to me and gave me a what the fuck look. “You’ve been here before?”

“Yeah. Quite a lot.”

“Boyfriend a football fan?”

I swallowed. “Ex. And something like that.”

“Something like that?”

“Sounds like there’s more to be told” They said giggling.

“He err played for…” I nodded towards the stadium as we walked.

“No friggin’ way!” They squealed. “You dated a footballer!”

I just nodded and pretended to concentrate on where I was walking. It was the first time I’d had to call him my ex and I never used to shout about the fact he was a footballer either.

“When did you break up?”

“Err… few weeks ago… maybe a couple of months…” Everything had morphed into one since that day.

“So… that’s why you’ve been missing work.”

I didn’t reply to that.

“Why did you break up?”

“He had slept with this girl I used to be friends with and not told me.”

“No way! No way!”

“No wonder you’ve been acting crazy, that is like against the rules.”

They jabbered on as I led them into the stadium and up to the function room. “We have to have a girls night in, us three.” Roxy said.

“Yeah,” Beth agreed, “We can eat shit and you can complain about your football guy”

“Let’s do it tomorrow night!” Roxy said.

“Really?” I asked.

“What’s wrong?”