Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

We ambled back to my office a bit sticky after an ice cream fight. We weren’t holding hands but we were walking shoulder to shoulder and every now and then Aaron would give me a nudge so I looked up at him and he would smile.

“Sooo,” He said as we reached my office.

“Text me? Later, before I die of boredom?”

“I wouldn’t want that, would I?” He leaned in and kissed me. As he pulled away I tip toed and kissed him again. He smiled against my lips, “I could get used to this.”

When I walked into the office it seemed everyone was staring at me including Liddy. Kevin at the desk next to me immediately asked who he was.

“Aaron.” I replied whilst tapping at my computer, pretending it wasn’t anything special.

“Aaron? Who is he? How do you know him?”

“He’s just this guy I’ve been seeing.”

“This guy you’ve been seeing? Anais doesn’t ‘see’ guys. She does them.”

“Hey!”

“It’s true!.”

I shook my head and continued working. After a while I got bored and went to google. Before I knew what I was doing I had typed Aaron’s name in. The first hit was Wikipedia. Oh my god, he has a Wikipedia was my first thought that’s so cool!

I didn’t understand the football speak, box-to-box midfielder, what even? He’s welsh? How did I not know that? I felt bad finding out about him on Wikipedia but it was kind of addictive.

Then came the paragraph about his broken leg. I frowned. That’s what he meant about missing a lot…

I was then linked to youtube. I clapped my hands over my eyes as I saw the tackle.

“What are you watching?” Kevin asked, peering over.

He looked confused and then, “OH MY GOD YOU’RE DATING A FOOTBALLER!” Trust Kevin to over react. Even though I was trying to shush him the whole office turned to me and a couple came over to see the commotion.

“Is it true?” “Is he hot?” “Who does he play for?” “Is he rich?”

“Go away! I’m trying to work.” I said feebly. Eventually the crowd cleared and I was left alone.

Poor Aaron…

When I left the office I passed Liddy’s desk, “So you’ve added goldigger to your list of qualities.”

“Excuse me?” I asked angrily.

“Start going out with a guy ‘cos he’s a footballer. Aaron deserves better than a skank after his money.”

I laughed. “For your information I have been seeing Aaron since your party,” Seeing may have been a strong word… shagging would have been more accurate…”And I only found out he was a footballer yesterday so stop jumping to conclusions and get back to your pathetic boyfriend who can’t even make you come.”

Someone made a cat fight noise behind me and I laughed before leaving. Was it harsh? Maybe. But as Aaron said, someone who was your friend wouldn’t think you were a whore. Or a goldigger.

When I got out of the office I got a text from Aaron. ARE YOU DEAD YET?

I laughed but couldn’t reply as I went down the steps to the underground station.

When I got home I heated up leftovers and sunk into the sofa. I was knackered again. There was a How I Met Your Mother marathon on so I sat for hours watching that. I had just about fallen asleep on my sofa when there was a banging on my door.