Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Aaron’s POV

Shit, that wasn’t the right thing to say. Was all I had the chance to think before her hand whipped round the side the of my face. Fuck. That hurt more than it looked like it was going to. She didn’t back away, so I had no here else to look other than into her eyes which were filled with fury. “Don’t you dare compare this to that. This is completely different.”

I knew that. It hadn’t come out right… I couldn’t bare to look in her eyes anymore. She shouldn’t be looking at me like that. The burn in the left side of my face was getting worse as I looked down at the ground.

“… And lastly I was drunk.”

I hadn’t said anything for a while, “That shouldn’t be an excuse,” I mumbled. We’d said that before. In fact she had said it. That she wasn’t going to let go of responsibility for that night because she was drunk.

“Fuck you Aaron!” She was screaming again. I went red as I realised that my Mum was in the next room.

“I’m Sorry, Anais. I’m sorry.” It was all I could say. And I was sorry. It was one of those things which you regret everyday and there were so many times when I knew I should have told her. But I was always too scared  that she’d react… well, like this. This really wasn’t the way for her to find out though.

“I’m going.”

Shit. She can’t leave. I grabbed to pull her back but she turned to me looking disgusted and pulled her hand away from me sharply. “Don’t touch me when you’ve touched her,”

Ow. That hurt.

“I never meant to hurt you,” I whispered. Stupid Aaron.

“Congratulations Aaron. Out of everyone whose screwed me over, you win”

That was hard to stomach. But I guess it was true. She never loved her Dad or Liddy or anyone. She loved me though. I had that responsibility.

“Shut up. I wish never let you buy me that beer. I wish I had given you a fake number. I wish I never went to Carluccios that day last year. I wish I never forgave you for lying. I should have known it would happen again.”

She was taking everything back. Us. Everything we’d been through. “I didn’t know how bad you and Liddy were going to get.” It was a poor defence. I just needed her to know I didn’t do this to spite her or anything.

“Did you know she was the reason I drank so much at New Years?” She was smiling in a scary way, like someone who had lost the plot. “She was the reason I let that guy touch me. Take me outside. Fuck me against the wall.” I couldn’t stop picturing her with someone else and it made me sick. I had told her before how much I hated the idea of her with someone else. She knew that was a low blow.

I was stunned for a bit and was caught off guard as she started walking out of the house. She was halfway to her car and I knew I only had one last chance. I stepped outside, “Anais, I love you.”

She paused in the driveway and turned to face me. Her eyes were completely cold. All emotion gone. “What does that mean?”

I stood and watched her drive away in Kevin’s car. I had fucked this up.

I put my head on the wall and thumped it lightly a couple of times.

“Aaron?” I turned to see Mum and Josh standing by the door. I could see them looking at me judgingly having just heard every word of what had happened. It wouldn’t take a genius to fill in the gaps.