Tomorrow Braid

This is chapter 27 guys!! Chapter 27!! Sorry I had a moment. That's my number for soccer and I get excited whenever I get that number or in this case, reaching chapter 27. Anyways, this is when Sophie has her nightmare. The nightmare will be explained below in italics, and the copping mechanism that she uses before Fitz comforts her is the way Calla showed her in the 4th book. As well as the way that I would use when I was 5. I had to give calla some love because of how helpful she is to Sophie. On to th chapter!!

Sophie was surrounded by flames. What she thought was a peaceful night under  the stars with Fitz turned out to be a kidnapping. She could hear Fitz's screams fill the air. Brant sneered. "To keep him alive you must do exactly as we say. Understood?" Sophie nodded. Brant parted the flames and Alvar walked through them with Fitz. There were burn marks all over his arms and legs. His shirt wasn't even a shirt anymore and there were burn marks on his back, stomach, and chest. He hung limply in Alvar's arms. Sophie screamed. "He better be alive. She won't cooperate with us if he's dead." Alvar laughed. "After years of wishing, his dreams finally came true. Yes he's still alive." Fintan appeared in the middle of the circle. "Well well well. Sweetheart you'll be fine if you just listen to me. Fitz wouldn't ever protect you anyways. He's always had eyes for Linh. But Alvar, he will protect you. He looks just like Fitz except for the eyes." Sophie stared at Fitz. "Don't listen to him Sophie. He's trying to get you to join them by making you think no one loves you on our side. He's trying to make it seem like they are the only ones who love you" Fitz cried. Flames danced closer and closer to Fitz as he talked. Alvar let go of him and stepped back. Just then arms closed around her, shoving a cloth in her face, covering her mouth and nose. The last thing she heard before she blacked out was "I will come for you. I love you." Then everything went black. She woke up tied to a chair  and a blindfold around her eyes. Someone roughly pulled the blindfold off and she saw Fitz. He was tied up to the wall in front of her. He had burn marks and scars al over. Sweat mixed with dirt and blood and ran down him, dripping into a puddle on the floor. His breathing was ragged, and shallow. Brant came out from behind her and stood right next to Fitz, flames at the ready. "Don't touch him" solnie snarled. Brant laughed. A horrible wheezing raspy sound, and he ended it with a coughing fit. Then he burned Fitz. Sophie watched in horror as brand lit Fitz's body up with flames, Fitz's screams of agony filled the room. Then they stopped all together. When Bryant called off the flames, all that was left of Fitz was a pile of ashes, and is eyeballs, his real jeweled irises staring at her. Sophie screamed. 

Sophie sat up quickly. She looked about the room and saw Fitz sleeping peacefully next to her. She smiled at how calm he looked. At least he was having good dreams she thought. She slowly crawled out of bed and grabbed a jacket. She walked down to the beach and stared out at the ocean. She started to hum a song and braid her hair, starting all the way at the left side, down the back of her head, and across her shoulder on her right side. Like up above with the left side braided all the way from the top of her head down the the one across her shoulder except she had the back braided as well

Fitz woke up like always in the middle of the night so he could check on Sophie. When he didn't feel her, he bolted up in bed. He went out to the balcony and looked down at the beach to see Sophie playing with her hair, looking out at the ocean. He went down to check on her. When he got closer, he realized that she was singing. I didn't really know a song that kinda went with this so I used a lullaby that my aunt would sing to me while braiding my hair when I couldn't sleep

Theres a sound coming from the willow

Where your dreams lay in their bed

Place your problems in this weave 

That I make with my own hands

Walk out toward the water

Place your feet  beneath the waves

Imagine you are dancing 

At the coast in its time

Bind you not to the evil

Chain you not to the dark

I'll set you free to find your home and 

You'll be save and sound once more

In your dreams

Your a child 

Once more

She finished the song and slowly walked out the the water. Fitz followed behind her, trying to be quiet. But when he hit the harder sand, his feet clomped on the ground and Sophie turned around. "Oh. It's just you. What's wrong?" Fitz came up and held her in his arms. "You. Whatever is wrong with you right now is bothering me. I can't sleep if your not in the bed" he said, burying his head in her hair. Sophie smiled. "Oh, I think you can. You do it every morning when I go downstairs to get breakfast ready." Fitz sighed. "What's wrong. Why can't you sleep." Sophie had fresh tears prick her eyes. "It would be better if I just show you." Fitz entered her mind and watched the memory of the dream. "Oh Sophie. Your safe. I  safe. Nothing is going to happen to you. And I will always love you and protect you." Fitz squeezed her a bit tighter and buried his head and her hair again. They stood like that for awhile until Sophie broke it. Her dreams and problems were surfacing quicker and quicker. She took out the braid and did it over, imagining that her problems were being laced into the braid. She sang the song again and finished the braid. She leaned on Fitz and her eyelids started to get heavier. Fitz noticed and picked her up, carrying her to their room. He lay her down and he crawled right up behind her. Her head lay upon one of his arms while his other was over top of her, keeping her close. Sophie fell asleep feeling safe and carefree. 

That chapter was shorter. However it was not my shortest one. Nightmare pt 1 was the shortest with 144 words. Nightmare pt 2 had 192. I will update soon. I promise. In fact I'm working on the next chapter here right now as you read this. 

-KT