50: Persephonie

Song: Mutual  by Shawn Mendes

I held up my embroidery of the Greek Goddess holding her pomegranate, with pride growing inside my chest. A warm spring breeze swept past me, blowing a few loose strands of hair away from my face. I breathed in the scent of the grass growing in the courtyard.

I realized today would be the last time I would be here. After I get married tomorrow, I will have to spend the rest of my life in Bruvia. Which meant I would not be able to see Megan anymore.

A sudden lump rose in my throat before I forced it away.

Where was she, anyway? I really hoped she would come to see me before I had to leave.

"Persephonie?"

I turned around to see Venus. Her lips were in a thin line, and her jaw was set.

I immediately stood up to address her. "What's wrong?" I asked, unhesitant. She didn't respond. Her steely eyes stared past me at nothing. "Venus," I started, softly, and held out my hand to stroke her arm, but she pulled back. "Please, tell me what's wrong."

"What's wrong? You dare to ask me what's wrong?" Venus exploded, her arms flailing around her. "You are getting married tomorrow! You! You are younger than me, you have known your husband-to-be for an extremley long time, Why is it, that you get to have a perfect wedding, when I can't?" Her breathing became heavier with each syllable that escaped her lips. Her entire body trembled with the rage she had held behind concrete walls for god knows how long. "What do you have that I don't? If anything, I am better than you. I know right from wrong. I know not to associate myself with commoners, so, if anyone deserves a happy wedding, it should be me!

I shouldn't have to grow old at Father's mercy, I shouldn't be the one who will never marry, I am more fit to be a ruler than you! Than Athena! But especially you! You, Persephonie, pay no attention to rules, to status, how is it that you are getting married and I am not?!"

I gaped at my sister, dumbstruck. She is too old now. No one will take her as a wife anymore. The lump from before returned and I could do nothing to get rid of it. Tears pushed at my ducts, but not from anger. "I'm sorry" I choked out. "I really wish you could have been married, I really do." If only I could tell her. If only she could understand. I would happily switch places with her. Not marrying meant I would stay here, with Megan.

My tear-filled eyes gazed into Venus' fury-filled ones. Sobs threatened to push through my throat, so I blinked at looked at the embroidery I had draped on my arm.

I felt a hand gently clasp my shoulder. "I shouldn't have done that. I- I should be happy you're getting married, and-- I am! But... I don't know... I guess I never thought I'd be letting you go. I thought it would be the other way."

Her arms pulled me to her torso and my silent tears wet her gown. I took a calming breath and, placing my hands on her waist, looked up to her face. "It's okay," I whispered, softly. "I can't say that I know how you feel, and I know that I cannot even begin to understand how hard this must be for you."

"Don't get me wrong. I love you, and I'm happy that you're getting married" Venus repeated. "I just... I wish I were too."

I pulled away and smiled at her. If only she knew how badly I wanted to stop this wedding. But if I told her, I knew she would become angry, because to her, if I refused this wedding, it would look like I was throwing away a golden opportunity. But Venus is my sister, and I can't hurt her. At least not like that. Or... perhaps I could tell her. She could help me. She's definitely my mother's daughter, and if anyone would know what to do, it would be her.