9: Guard

Last we left, Cedric was asking a guard nearby where his father was. Let's see the guard's response...

He sounded like a little boy. Where's Dad? What was I to tell him? I didn't know the pain of losing someone I loved. I stared into the young prince's helpless hazel eyes. It almost made me want to break my vow. Almost. But my unborn child was worth more.

"Perhaps you should ask Queen Sophia" I said finally.

The prince staggered back, sweat glistened on his bare chest. His face considerably paled, and I worried that he would faint again. The healer that worked on Prince Louis had worked on Prince Cedric as well, but the healer had left.

The young prince turned and ran. I wanted to run after him, and console him. He might not know of my existence, but I had watched him grow. This had been my post since I started working here, and I had watched Prince Cedric grow. All he knows is that I am a guard. But to me, he is so much more.

It almost made me want to back out of the Advisory Council. Almost.

--

A/N: Incredibly short chapter, I know. But I wanted to show that there is something more going on with Bruvia's kingdom than what meets the eye. Next chapter will be posted soon! Remember to vote and comment!