28: Persephonie

Patrick told Cedric that he should become the king of Bruvia. Cedric is very excited to rule beside Persephonie. Also, the Royal family is travelling to the kingdom of Varac in hopes to create an alliance.

Song: Daughter by John Mayer

I checked my large basket, containing my clothes and things, one more time. I had eight dresses, two night gowns, and three pairs of shoes. My winter coat was laid out on my bed, as that was what I was going to wear on the boat ride to Varac.

It would take about ten hours to reach Varac, and we planned on staying there for two weeks. Venus was incredibly excited in hopes that she might find a suitor. She had packed her most fashionable clothes and ribbons.

I met up with Father, Venus, Athena, and Cedric outside the castle, near the carriage. Cedric hoisted my basket into the carriage containing all our luggage, just as Mother came up to me. Janus and the twins were in a line behind Mother.

"Do you have your tiara?" The older woman asked me, matter of factly. I felt the top of my head and frowned. Mother sighed and shook her head, displeasure setting on her face. She handed me the silver accessory and I placed atop my head. "Have Venus redo your braids" Mother commanded as I started walking away to my carriage. "They're absolutely hideous."

My frown deepened. I had done my braids by myself and pinned them to the back of my head so they formed rings on either side of my face. "Don't frown so much!" Mother scolded. "You'll form frown lines."

I ignored her and quickly sat in the carriage I was going in. Can't she just leave me alone every now and then? A few minutes passed and my sisters and Cedric got into the carriage. I undid my hair and asked Venus to do my hair. I heard the crack of a whip and my carriage started moving.

Quite honestly, I was kind of excited. I had never traveled farther than Bruvia, and it had been years since I had been on an actual trip to a different country. Venus wove my ribbon through my braid and tied it to the back on my head, forming a ring around my right ear.

We swiftly stood up and switched sides so she could braid the left side of my head. I was now sitting opposite Cedric, and he smiled at me, causing me to smile back. After Venus had finished, Athena started up a conversation about molasses. I wasn't paying attention. I was too busy trying not to get sick all over the carriage.

Finally, a lifetime later, we dismounted the carriage, and transferred all our luggages from the carriage to a sailboat. After around ten or so minutes, my family and I stepped onto another sailboat. To say I was excited was milking it. I was way beyond excited. I had never been on a sea vessel before!

Standing on the edge of the boat, I looked out to Crotis. The harbor had been put together last minute, and the sailboats were salvaged from extremely cheap wood. The harbor consisted of sand, with a pole to keep the sailboats from floating away, by tying ropes to it.

One of the carriage drivers untied the sail boats, and we began drifting away. I felt an arm pass around my shoulders. For a split second I thought it was Louis' then remembered he is no more, and recognized it as Cedric's. I turned to look at him and gave him my plastic smile, to which he gave a genuine grin.

"Your father thinks it would be a good idea if I became king of Bruvia" he said, pride evident in his voice. "I can not wait until you are my queen."

My smile immediately vanished, but I don't think he noticed, because he pecked my lips. When he pulled away, he took note of my grim face, and he seemed confused. "Aren't you happy to become my queen?"

"I can't wait for us to be married" I said, dryly. Cedric opened his mouth to say something, but he closed it and shook his head. His dark brown hair had grown to rest just below his chin, and was parted in the middle. I pushed a lock of hair behind his ear and kissed him, passionately, pretending he was Louis.

"Cedric!" I heard Athena say and pulled away. Cedric smiled at me and left to find Athena.

A strong breeze blew past me, and I wished I had thought to put on a knitted cap. I folded my arms across my chest and took in a deep breath of the salty air. It really was a miracle that the channel hadn't yet frozen over. I stared at the silhouette of Crotis, and my mind wandered to what Cedric had said:

Aren't you happy to become my queen?

No. I was not happy to become his queen. Why? Because I did not love him the way I had loved Louis. The way I should love a husband. I honestly couldn't see myself marrying him. I don't know why or how, but I had grown to love him the way I loved Janus.

"Persephonie?" I heard my mother say from behind me. Oh great. More lectures on how I am not perfect. What joy this brings me. But Mother wasn't looking to lecture me. She only stood next to me, taking in the noon's salty air. Her winter coat was a pale blue, and the buttons were white. Her elbow-length hair was down, and a brown knitted cap covered her head.

I nodded at her and continued to star out into the horizon. Mother said nothing, but gave me her comforting presence. She placed her hand on top of my head then took off her cap and placed it on my head. I looked to her but she was still staring out into the horizon, with a rare smile playing at her lips. Her hair flew in all directions, and sometimes brushed against my face.

A/N: I decided to enter this story into the Wattys because why not. Also, the next chapter is going to be from Queen Sophia's point of view. Stay tuned for that! Vote and comment!!