33: Megan

What am I supposed to say to her? I fancy you Persephonie. But last time I told you that, you wouldn't talk to me for two years. So now I really don't know if I should tell you that I like you. Persephonie just kept sipping her tea, and I looked down at mine.

I indulged myself in a biscuit, and Persephonie cleared her throat. I slowly returned my gaze to her deep pools of beautiful black eyes. "Who do you fancy?" she repeated.

"No man you would know" I said, slowly. Persephonie's lips formed a thin line. I bit my bottom lip. What do I do now? I stuffed a couple more biscuits into my mouth, until there was only one biscuit left on the tray.

"Does this man have a name?" she asked, uselessly stirring her tea.

I stared intently at the biscuit on the tray, as if willing it to some how shut down this conversation. I sipped my tea again, and finally looked at Persephonie. There was something off about her. She looked like she was about to cry, but at the same time, she looked like she was about to kill me, then kill herself.

"No" I whispered finally, confusing the princess sitting opposite me. "May I have some more tea?" I asked, holding out my empty cup.

"Megan" she started, speaking slowly, as though picking her words carefully. "Who do you fancy?"

I took a deep breath. Should I tell her the truth? I had put up with the torture of knowing that she would never love me back the way I loved her. "May I have more tea?" I repeated.

"No" she stated, firmly, startling me with her rudeness. "Who do you fancy?" she demanded, anger evident in her voice. It really was surprising how someone so small could be so demanding.

"If I tell you, do you promise not to be angry with me?" I asked, my voice quivering. I waited a couple moments after Persephonie nodded, and said, "I fancy... I fancy... you... I fancy you" I yelled the last three words, glad to get it out of my chest. My eyes widened while I waited for Persephonie's response.

She took the last biscuit, dipped it in her tea, and took a bite.