18: Persephonie

It's been a while. But so far, Queen Sophia has basically banished King Charles from the palace. With Venus and Charles settled, let's take a small peek at how Persephonie and Megan are doing.

Song: Let Her Go by Passenger

"She hasn't come out since" I was telling Megan at the edge of the courtyard. It had been two days since Mother had yelled at King Charles. There was still tension in the castle. I never saw Mother. I had tried knocking on her door, so had Father, Athena, Venus, even Janus. But she wouldn't come out for any of them either.

Cedric, and even the twins, Lillian and Miles, had tried to make her come out. But it was as though she wasn't even behind the door. Mother only ever let the maids inside to give her food and drink. Father was constantly stressing, and wasn't completing his tasks. But on the brighter side, Cedric was getting his training on being a ruler,by taking over Father's tasks.

I turned my attention back to Megan, as she wrapped herself in the cloak I had given her. It fell short of her feet, making me feel short again. A cold breeze blew past us, and I shivered. Megan hugged me close to her, trying to keep me warm. "It's kind of cold. Do you want to stay with me tonight?"

"I should go home-"

"No" I stated, firmly. "You've been trying to avoid me for the past year, and I don't know why!" I finally confessed. "You're hiding something- I know it! But I don't know what. What are you hiding? I know that's why you're avoiding me. What is it?"

Megan stayed quiet, and I did not have the patience anymore. "Fine" I spat coldly at her. "Don't tell me. A commoner like you shouldn't be associating with Royalty like me anyway," I sneered. Megan looked at me with sad, hurt eyes. I turned away from her, and headed for the castle, where she was prohibited from. My vision blurred with tears that wouldn't leave my eyes. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get rid of the tears and clear my vision. "Go away" I whispered, only loud enough to let the cold breeze carry my voice to her. "I don't want to see you again until you want to tell me what you're hiding."

I heard Megan gasp, and heard her hurried footsteps before she grabbed my shoulder. "Persephonie, please!" I turned to see her, tears streaming down her face. It broke my heart to see her cry like that. I wiped them away with my thumb, and looked deep into her light-brown eyes, filled with sadness, sorrow, and pain. "I- I love you. I love you Persephonie. That's why I have to stay away from you."

"I love you too" I said, confused. I couldn't understand why this make her sad.

Megan shook her head. "I love you the way I should love a boy."

"How is that even possible? Do you see me as a boy?" I asked, offended.

Megan shook her head. "I don't know Persephonie. I'm so confused! I- I don't think I could've loved you if you were a boy. Please don't ignore me! I'll miss you if I never see you again."

I didn't understand. How could a girl love another the way she was supposed to love a boy? It didn't make any sense! I knew what love felt like. I had loved Louis! I can't ever feel that with Megan.

But of course, I was eleven at the time I thought that. It was then that I said the words I don't remember forming in my mind, or with my lips. I had whispered them to her in a tone edged with anger, "Go away Megan. Go back to your wretched house, and your traitorous family, and don't you dare place your filthy, plebian foot on my castle grounds. Am I clear?" I saw the hurt in her eyes intensify, and tears remained stagnant. She blinked furiously, and turned away from me.

Then she ran. She ran off the courtyard and disappeared behind the pomegranate tree, on which a few leaves clung on to before the inevitable cold rendered it lifeless. I stood, my legs rooted to the spot, seething in anger. But it soon faded and was replaced by a feeling I had not known. My throat constricted and I wanted to go back in time. I wanted apologize to Megan. And I wanted to do so many things. Lord, I am such a fopdoodle! I wish I hadn't said those things to Megan. I wanted nothing more than to go back in time and fix my mistake. But I couldn't. I wanted to curl up and cry, and I wanted Louis to comfort me.

But he wouldn't be able to. Not because he is dead, but because no one could. No matter what anyone did or said, it won't fix my mistake. It won't bring me Megan. I finally put a word on this strange feeling.

Regret. I felt regret.

I collapsed to my knees and cried, and I suppose I had fallen asleep at some point, because when I woke up, I was in my bed. I was soon wide awake and couldn't fall back asleep. The salt from my tears had made my eyes a bit crusty. I stared at my ceiling and tried to sort out what my brain was going through.

But there was too much going on, and a single word wouldn't describe it.

Megan confused me, and I wouldn't see her for another two years. I would never go to the courtyard out of anger and confusion. But the next time I saw her, I would be a woman, and engaged to Cedric.

A/N: Yes, I know it's been forever. But I'm on break next week! I promise I will try to update again, very soon. Back to the story, thoughts on this chapter? I feel like the flow could've been better. Anything confuse you guys? What about the song? I think it's kind of creepy how well this chapter and the song go together XD Vote and Comment!!