32: Persephonie

"Why were you talking with the gardner?" I asked Megan in my room. She sipped her chamomile tea. "Pinky out, love" I reminded her.

She did as I asked. Then replied to my question, by saying, "Well, you didn't come back on the day you were supposed to, but I didn't know that. So I came to the castle two weeks after you left, and made conversation with Mathias."

"And how long has this been going on?"

"I'd say... around a month" Megan placed her cup down and took a bite out of the tea biscuit on her saucer.

"And what do you think of him?" I asked, and sipped my tea.

"He's nice, I suppose."

"You don't feel any... different around him?"

Megan shook her head. "I like him. He's a nice man."

I stared down at the ground, on which we sat, cross-legged. "Are you sure?" I challenged.

I heard the clattering of silverware, and Megan tilted my chin to look into her light brown eyes. "You think I fancy him" she stated.

I gaped at her. "N-no. I don't- I don't think you fancy him! Why- Why- What in the world would ever make me think that! Pfft. You? Fancying Marcus-"

"Mathias-"

"Whatever!" I snapped, and sipped my tea. The warm liquid warmed my insides. I avoided looking anywhere but the clear liquid in my cup. I needed to think. Because Megan was correct. I thought she fancied the gardner. And I had felt... jealous? No. It's not possible. Why would I feel jealous? What reason did I have to feel jealous? What did it matter to me who Megan fancied. But it does. I don't want Megan to fancy anyone.

"Persephonie?" Megan asked, snapping me out of my daze. My lips formed a thin line as I gazed into Megan's beautiful light brown eyes. Her mousy- brown hair was in a knot at the top of her head. I licked my lips and looked away. "Persephonie?" Megan repeated.

"Who do you fancy?" I asked, suddenly. I needed to know. It was killing me. Megan bit her bottom lip. I waited patiently for her answer, while sipping my tea.